- Arkansas’ Little Rock City has a successful program called Bridge to Work.
- The program pays homeless to pick up street litter.
- Each participant earns $9.25 per hour.
- Mayor Frank Scott Jr has said that the program will run until September 2020.
Talk about hitting two birds with one stone! Little Rock, Arkansas recently gained a lot of positive attention online because of a unique initiative that helps homeless people and deals with the city’s trash problem at the same time.
The city’s Bridge to Work program started last April and the goal was to give homeless individuals an opportunity to earn by picking up litter on the streets.
Little Rock pays homeless people to pick up trash for $9.25 per hour.
It is, of course, worth-noting that the amount is $2 higher than the federal minimum wage – which is $7.25.
On top of the salary, they also get to avail of mental and physical health services, along with career coaching and temporary housing. So yes, aside from having cleaner streets, the target is to actually aid the unfortunate in turning their lives around.
Originally, the program was supposed to run for just 6 months.
However, it’s success has prompted Mayor Frank Scott Jr to push for an extension that’s why he wants it to last until September 2020.
So far, the city has spent a total of $80,000 on the said program, which is being run by the Canvas Community Church.
In an interview, Pastor Paul Atkins shared:
“We’re super excited about what has gone on, and we hope to be able to keep the momentum going.”
So farm over 2,000 bags of trash have been collected since the program began.
Naturally, social media netizens have been all praises about Bridge to Work.
One commenter said:
“Good job, Little Rock! Hope other cities in the country learn from your example.”
“This is what happens when a city truly cares for its homeless. They’re given the opportunity to improve their lives and be self-reliant!”
Watch the video report here:
Chicago Bulls’ Logo Is NSFW When Flipped Upside Down
The logo is hiding a naughty secret, claims a Reddit user.
- A Reddit user under the handle Cvoony recently went viral after sharing a weird observation about the Chicago Bulls logo. According to the post, the logo is actually NSFW as it depicts a robot and a crab doing something naughty. So far, reactions from netizens have mostly been mixed.
30 Artworks That Depict Some of Modern Society’s Biggest Problems
#3 is truly saddening!
"Art," according to by English portrait artist Stuart Pearson Wright, "thrives on society - and society thrives on art." This profound quote is perhaps more relevant today more than ever, especially since the power of social media helps artists spread their message to a broader audience with greater ease.
Taking An Afternoon Nap Could Help You Live Longer, According to Scientists
An afternoon nap keeps your heart healthy!
- Researchers from Switzerland looked into the impact of napping frequency and duration on health
- Napping during the daytime has a positive effect on heart health, according to researchers
- One to two naps per week showed more health benefits compared to not napping at all.
Like Us On Facebook
Touching Moment Man Gets Finally Reunited With Pet Cat Who’s Been Gone For 7 Years
The ‘Wine Bottle Christmas Tree’ May Be The Perfect Tree For Drinkers
Guy Poses His Baby Spider-Man Toy With Cats – And It’s Pretty Hilarious!
Why We Should Avoid ‘Toxic Positivity,’ According To A Therapist
20 Before and After Photos Of Ugly Views Transformed Into Beautiful Street Arts
Family Gets Bashed After Posting Unrealistic Requirements for Babysitter
Man Who Lived In Isolation To Avoid Infecting Others Was Told He’s Not Contagious
Mom Shares Hack To Stop Kids From Begging For Toys This Christmas