Sometime in the mid-1970s, a 30-year-old man named Roy Raymond walked into a department store to buy his wife lingerie. What he found in the store were floral, unappealing nightdresses that stuck out like a sore thumb under the fluorescent lights of the store. Add to this the piercing stare of the saleslady who made him feel like a pervert just for being there — the experience was truly appalling.
- BENEFITS: Face roller --- muscle tension relief and lymphatic drainage; reduce facial edema and help your skin look fresh; firm your skin and make it look dewy and lifted.
- Jade Face Roller: The at-home skincare face massager tool is made of rose quartz. The face & eye roller is sturdy and no squeaky. The massager roller is very smooth and well-made. It provides cooling and energizes the skin.
- Gua Sha: not only can improve circulation of blood flow, but it also helps the cells in the skin get sufficient nutrition and oxygen, accelerate the metabolism of cells, and maintain the elastic state of your skin.
- Tips: You can keep the facial jade roller and Guasha in the fridge and it helps to eradicate morning puffiness and get the skin refreshed.
- Give the beauty skin care tools ---- face roller and guasha ---- a try and you will like them.
However, the experience was useful as it sparked a wonderful idea in Raymond’s mind. After realizing that his friends felt the same way when shopping for lingerie, he saw an opportunity to establish a market where basically none existed — he planned to build a lingerie store that would make men feel utterly comfortable.
Roy Raymond, founder of Victoria’s Secret.
Raymond imagined an interior with Victorian boudoir. He went for the name “Victoria” to evoke the kind of respectability that is associated with the Victorian era. Quite literally, Victoria’s “secrets” were hidden beneath.
Armed with $80,000 and a lot of guts, Raymond and his wife leased a small space in a mall in Palo Alto, California, and opened a lingerie store.
Hence, Victoria’s Secret was born.
Victoria’s Secret revolutionized the way people think about lingerie during that time. For most of the women back then, lingerie was reserved for special occasions: honeymoons, anniversaries, you get the idea. Underwear was not about fun — it was all about functionality, practicality, and durability.
Raymond’s idea changed all that. Sales were an all-time high, and the business was flourishing. The catalogue, which featured sexy women in silk and lace underwear, may have been responsible for this boom, having been able to reach customers across the country (you can check out a 1979 catalogue here). Within five years, Victoria’s Secret opened three more branches in San Francisco. By 1982, Raymond’s company was earning $4 million dollars annually.
Victoria’s Secret models, then and now.
But in spite of these, Victoria’s Secret was nearing bankruptcy. There was something missing in Raymond’s formula, and he just couldn’t seem to figure it out.
Enter Leslie Wexner, a businessman whose brainchild “The Limited,” a sportswear store, was booming that time; he was also looking out to venture into new brands. Wexner, during his visit to one of his stores in San Francisco, caught sight of Victoria’s Secret. He went inside the store and saw the sexiest lingerie he had ever seen in the United States.
Immediately, Wexner figured out what was missing in Raymond’s formula: because Victoria’s Secret focused on male customers, the brand failed to attract a significant following from female customers. According to Trading Up, a book that was written by management experts Michael J. Silverstein and Neil Fiske, Wexner surmised that women were as uncomfortable in Victoria’s Secret as Raymond had been in the fluorescent-lit department store.
Les Wexner, the genius behind the success of Victoria’s Secret.
Wexner, seeing the potential of the brand, bought Victoria’s Secret, catalogue and stores, for $1 million. His initial step was to study European lingerie boutiques, whose large following of female customers perceive lingerie as an everyday essential and not an ornament worn only during special occasions. Wexner was convinced that American women would gladly welcome the kind of sexy and affordable lingerie that the European women had access to. He envisioned this and a market that would exist between the luxury the cheap brands. Ultimately, a new market that was appealing to women and fulfilled a relatively attainable fantasy of luxury and glamor would create huge demand.
And boy, was Wexner so right.
Women flocked to the stores while men continued to ogle the catalogue. Wexner’s plan was indeed, working. According to Trading Up, by 1995, Victoria’s Secret was worth $1.9 billion and had 670 stores across the United States. At present, as the company image continuously undergoes tweaking and refinement, Victoria’s Secret has become one of the most popular apparel brands in the world, having a net income of nearly $5 billion annually.
- ✔ SLIME LOVERS ESSENTIAL - Finally, the best slime making kit for girls has arrived! Get all you need in one complete box with glue, unicorn beads, inks, variety of texture, slime containers, and more! Plus, a 100% safe slime activator and a manual on how to make a perfect slime.
- ✔ BRING OUT KIDS CREATIVITY - Slime unicorn kit is the most delightful arts and crafts for girls. It will show kids' imaginative minds by creating different designs, colors & mixtures. They'll be super excited to try popular slimes like floam, cloud, jelly cube, & fishbowl. You might be surprised by what else they can do!
- ✔ UNLIMITED FUN AND EXCITEMENT - Here's your ultimate DIY slime kit for girls to make over 100 fun & exciting slimes. Others are premade, which offers limited combinations. We want you to have hours of enjoyment. Explore as much as you can using our magical unicorn ink and marvelous mix-ins. Create endless slime possibilities!
- ✔ PERFECT GIFT FOR GIRLS - Slime stuff kit is an excellent gift for your daughter or friend's kid for any occasion. It's made from high-quality ingredients, so it will never fall short of a mom's expectations. Indeed, the unicorn inks, sparkling add-ins, bubblegum scents, will make kids giddy with excitement when they unbox this fantastic gift.
- ✔ NO MORE SLIME FAIL GUARANTEED! Our easy to make slime comes with access to online videos and clear written instructions. Plus, tips to ensure you make awesome slime all the time. We took out all the stops because we know there's nothing worse than a disappointed child. So, look no further! The perfect slime kit is just a click away.
Unfortunately, as Wexner and Victoria’s Secret success grew, Roy Raymond’s life slowly fell apart. After selling the company, Raymond remained president of Victoria’s Secret for about a year, before leaving to focus on My Child’s Destiny, a sophisticated children’s retail and catalogue company based in San Francisco. However, after two years of operations, My Child’s Destiny filed for bankruptcy in 1986. Raymond and his wife ended up divorcing, and on one fateful day in 1993, Raymond jumped to his death from the Golden Gate Bridge, leaving behind his two teenage children.
Victoria’s Secret has become one of the most successful global brands today.
As Naomi Barr puts it,
“Roy Raymond’s genius was recognizing the need to remove shame from the process of buying unmentionables. But.. his story reads like a cautionary tale of how a brilliant opportunity can be seized and yet missed.”
We’ll never know what drove a genius like Raymond to end his life. However, it is easy to assume that he deeply regretted his decisions, especially when a company that he sold for $1 million ended up being worth more than $1 billion.
Ultimately, this story of both sadness and triumph teaches us how not to give up on our dreams and to persevere despite hardships.
What do you think about this story? Tell us your thoughts, and don’t forget to share this story with your friends!
Source: Huffington Post
When This Curious Cat Inspects A Weird Christmas Tree. A Hilarious Thing Happened!
If you want a good laugh check out this curious kitty!
Cats are known as curious creatures, hence the metaphor "Curiousity Killed the Cat." A good example is this particular feline who got very curious on a tiny 'singing' Christmas tree. He didn't know what he was looking at so he begun to investigate. It didn't take long, however, for this mysterious decoration to completely take him by surprise. The important part is that the cat was not hurt by this.
Watch The Video:
What are your thoughts on this video? Please share your thoughts and feelings in the comment section below.
Guilty Dog Busted For Being Naughty
When your dog is caught doing something naughty, do they act guilty?
Remember Denver the Guilty Dog from her original video that went extremely viral. If you haven't heard of him before, Denver is known around the globe as the guiltiest dog around! This time, the mischievous dog was caught being too interested with the Christmas Tree ornaments.
When confronted by her dad, Denver refuses to admit the crime, but the look on her face say it all. Her owner is quite wondering, how she was able to get those hard-to-reach Christmas balls. Is it possible Denver is conspiring with the cats?
Watch The Funny Video:
When your dog is caught doing something naughty, do they act guilty?
Baffled Owner Set Up Hidden Cam To See Who Raids The Fridge When Nobody’s Home.
What a clever dog!
Radio host Adam Montiel was baffled how his yellow Labrador, Allie, kept raiding the refrigerator when he wasn't home. So he set up a hidden camera to catch his clever dog in the act and this is what he discovered!
The video captures Allie making sure the kitchen is clear before she starts looking for food. First stop is the trash can. She knocked it over and when she couldn't find anything delectable inside, she head straight to the freezer. Using her arms and paws, she systematically open it like a pro and grab a couple of frozen goodies.
Like Us On Facebook
Woman Infected With COVID-19 Breaks Quarantine Because She Needs to Get Her “Nails Done So Bad”
New Snapchat Filter Transforms Your Dogs Into Disney Characters
Nurse Evicted from Boarding House After Telling Landlady She Has Covid-19
90-Year-Old Grandfather Came Out as Gay During the Pandemic
- News7 days ago
43 Days of Monsoon Rain Devastate South Korea with Deadly Floods and Over 200 Landslides
- Art6 days ago
‘John Wick 5’ Confirmed, Will Be Filmed Back-to-Back With 4th Movie
- History6 days ago
Tasaday Stone Age Tribe: A Philippines Savage Hoax That Fooled The World
- OMG3 days ago
Thai Ladyboys Turn Heads in Recent Military Draft