- Back in 2014, a Thai fisherman discovered an odd yellow lump while he was out at sea.
- The man brought the mysterious object home and didn’t know what to do with it for over five years.
- Amazingly, the strange object turned out to be a huge lump of whale vomit that is valued at over $30,000.
It’s true that the oceans are filled with hidden treasures. However, not all of them are sparkly and covered in precious gemstones. One fisherman found a mysterious yellow lump in the waters and decided to keep it in his shed for five years. Amazingly, the strange object turned out to be whale vomit that is valued at about $30,000.
Suwat Chitchanthuek found the mysterious lump at sea back in 2014. The fisherman from Rayong in eastern Thailand had no idea what it was but decided to bring it home. During the five years he had it, Suwat would toy around with the object, carving at it with a knife. However, he has then realized that the lump is actually a waxy substance known as ambergris, a rare ingredient that is used for producing perfume.
The mysterious lump was actually more valuable than expected!
The yellow lump is currently valued at one million Thai baht or $30,779 (£25,000). However, Suwat revealed that it could have been more valuable if he hadn’t played around with it in the first place.
“It was heavier and bigger when I first caught it because nobody in this village knew what it was,” Suwat said. “Sometimes when I was bored, I carved it with the knife to kill time which made it smaller. Now, I really regret doing that.”
Suwat with the lump of ambergris.
Ambergris is also known as grey amber and is produced in the digestive system of sperm whales.
Although it initially has a fecal odor when it is fresh, it develops a sweeter scent as it ages. This is why it is often used in making perfume. Unfortunately, it is also exceedingly rare due to the dwindling number of sperm whales.
Romantic Guy Drowns During His Underwater Proposal
This is just tragic!
- Steve Weber, a guy from Louisiana, planned a romantic underwater proposal for his girlfriend Kenesha Antoine during their stay at Manta Resort in Tanzania.
- Unfortunately, he "never emerged" from the water.
- Devastated by the incident, Kenesha said she's just sad she never had the chance to tell Steve that yes, she'd willingly marry him.
Clever Dog Fakes Leg Injury To Get Attention
The hilarious pooch has bamboozled several tourists!
- A clever dog is going viral for a truly amazing trick.
- The pooch is usually found on the streets struggling with a leg injury that isn't what it seems.
- After someone tries to help him, the dog miraculously straightens up and walks away with a cheeky grin on his face.
Why Tourists Should Never Get Elephant Massages
Believe us: getting an elephant massage is NOT a good idea!
- Elephant massages, which are popular in Thailand and other Asian countries, are often being offered to tourists.
- According to reports, these animals have been subjected to harsh training.
Like Us On Facebook
Touching Moment Man Gets Finally Reunited With Pet Cat Who’s Been Gone For 7 Years
The ‘Wine Bottle Christmas Tree’ May Be The Perfect Tree For Drinkers
Guy Poses His Baby Spider-Man Toy With Cats – And It’s Pretty Hilarious!
Why We Should Avoid ‘Toxic Positivity,’ According To A Therapist
20 Before and After Photos Of Ugly Views Transformed Into Beautiful Street Arts
Family Gets Bashed After Posting Unrealistic Requirements for Babysitter
Man Who Lived In Isolation To Avoid Infecting Others Was Told He’s Not Contagious
Mom Shares Hack To Stop Kids From Begging For Toys This Christmas