- Fred the Labrador first became famous by fostering 9 ducklings last year.
- This time, it’s 6 ducklings, who got left behind when the mother duckling wandered off.
- The new batch of ducklings immediately warmed up to Fred and accepted him as their new mother.
A mother animal fostering another animal is nothing new. We have seen stories of Mama cats breastfeeding puppies and Mama dogs doing the same for kittens. It’s just part of their motherly instinct. What’s less common is a male animal doing the fostering, especially ones that are an entirely different animal from him.
This is why Fred the Labrador is very special indeed. This 11-year-old cutie stole the hearts of the internet last year when he adopted nine ducklings (the mother duck vanished).
Now he’s playing the father role again by taking in six new ones to look after.
The six ducklings got left behind when the mother, a Muscovy duck, roamed around together with other six ducklings.
Fred with the first batch of ducklings he fostered.
Fred is the resident pet at Mountfitchet Castle near Stansted, Essex in the southeast of England. The wooden castle is a historic site and also served as a Roman signals fort.
It later became a Viking and Saxon settlement prior to getting attacked by William the Conqueror in 1066.
“He took to his role like a duck to water,” said Jeremy Goldsmith, director of Mountfitchet Castle. “Fred has got an absolutely wonderful nature. They absolutely love him.”
Fred immediately showed love to the ducklings after he was introduced to the lot.
He let the ducklings climbed on his back, warming up to each other.
“Fred indicated straight away that there would be no ducking out of his duties as he settled in around them,” Goldsmith said.
“Within minutes the ducklings accepted their odd looking new mum and were climbing all over him.”
‘Success Kid’ Meme Shares How Going Viral Saved His Dad’s Life
He totally used his internet fame for good.
- Sammy Griner first became famous back in 2007 when he was only 11 months old.
- His mother shared a photo of him with a clenched fist that quickly went viral.
- Netizens nicknamed him the “Success Kid.”
- Now, "Success Kid" is all grown up, and he's using his fame to help save his dad's life.
30 Inspiring Elderly Students Who Showed Us The Value of Education
It’s never too late to learn!
Remember how our parents used to lecture us about the importance of school when we were younger? We probably didn't give it much thought back then but we've probably developed greater appreciation of that advice as we grew older. Besides, having a good education can often be the key to opening opportunities in the real world. As Benjamin Franklin once put it, "an investment in knowledge pays the best interest."
New Law Requires Filipino Students To Plant 10 Trees To Graduate
It will result in 525 million new trees in one generation.
- A new law in the Philippines requires all students to plant 10 trees to graduate.
- Rep. Gary Alejano, one of the authors of the bill, said children and young adults in the Philippines should be able to contribute to the environment.
- The law formalizes a tradition of planting trees upon graduation, in hopes to combat global climate change.