- A huge jellyfish measuring 1.5 meters has been spotted by divers.
- Despite its massive size, the creature is actually harmless and not a threat to humans.
- This type of jellyfish is the biggest there is in UK waters.
Divers swimming off the coast of Cornwall got a big shock when they encountered a jellyfish as big as a human body. The cream-colored creature turned out to be a barrel jellyfish – and it was truly a wondrous sight to behold.
BBC wildlife host and biologist Lizzie Daly and her photographer was on an undersea adventure when she suddenly found herself next to the giant jellyfish.
It was around 1.5 meters long, nearly as big as her own body.
Dan Abbott, the underwater cinematographer, took the video of the encounter. The massive size of the jellyfish can truly shock just about anyone, but Daly knows that barrel jellyfish can grow up to this size.
“It’s known to get this large, but I haven’t seen one this big,” Daly said to CBS News. “Dan said he hasn’t seen one this big either.”
She also added that these barrel jellyfishes are the largest you can see in UK waters, but they are actually harmless and not considered a threat to humans.
In fact, the jellyfish was just gliding serenely in the water when they found it. They only have a mild sting.
Because of this, Daly was able to swim around the creature for an hour.
Daly and Abbott were embarking on an adventure called “Wild Ocean Week,” a 7-day marine adventure meant to promote wildlife awareness . She also hoped to raise funds for The Marine Conservation Society, which promotes ocean conservation.
This year, hundreds of barrel jellyfishes have washed up on the shores across Devon and Cornwall.
They tend to swarm off the coast in summer and autumn.
She described the trip as a “real life adventure.” They witnessed fascinating stuff such as breaching minke whales, swimming with seals, and lunge feeding whales. The encounter with the barrel jellyfish is like a “cherry on top” of their adventure.
They eventually uploaded the videos they took on Daly’s Facebook page.
Woman Falls Asleep on Air Canada Flight, Wakes Up Later to a Dark and Empty Plane
To make matters worse, she has anxiety disorder which made her ordeal more terrifying.
- Air Canada passenger Tiffani Adams fell asleep during her flight and was shocked to wake up to a deserted plane.
- She managed to open the plane's door and was rescued by a baggage handler who helped her out of the 50-foot drop from the tarmac.
- The airline is currently investigating the incident.
Mythical Giant Squid That Inspired the ‘Kraken’ Legend Spotted in US Waters
It was only a juvenile squid, but it was already at least 10 to 12 feet long!
- The elusive creature was seen 100 miles southeast of New Orleans.
- The creature was at least 3 to 3.7 meters (10 to 12 feet long).
- Shortly after they saw the giant squid, the ship was struck by lightning.
Billionaires Who Offered to Finance the Rebuilding of Notre Dame Cathedral Haven’t Paid Yet
French businessmen Bernard Arnault and Francois Henri Pinault are among those who pledged financial help for the reconstruction.
- French billionaires Bernard Arnault and Francois Henri Pinault are among those who pledged financial help for the reconstruction.
- At present, the money being used for the project came from private donations, mostly from French and American individuals.
- The high profile donors reportedly want to monitor the progress of the reconstruction plans first before handing over the promised funds.