- Old age is not an easy period for so many people.
- In addition to the sudden change in lifestyle, elderly people also have to deal with problems relating to isolation, boredom, and sometimes, even maltreatment from the society.
- As such, some police units are installing benches which they call ‘Friendship Benches’ in an effort to help.
- Through these benches, these police units hope to help alleviate loneliness among elderly people, and possibly cheer them up.
- The benches were made available in public parks and are meant to help combat mental distress associated with isolation from the rest of the world.
Several police departments have decided to join in the fight against the ever-increasing prevalence of mental distress and isolation. In an effort to help fight this serious mental health problem common in many English towns, the Avon and Somerset Police Department have started designating public park benches as “friendship benches” where people will be able to sit and receive friendly greetings from everybody.
In a Facebook post made by the Avon and Somerset Police Department, they showed photos of what they call “Chat Benches” in Burnham and Tauton, with a note that reads,
THE “HAPPY TO CHAT” BENCHSit here if you don’t mind someone stopping by to say hello.
The photo also came with a caption that urges people to say “hello” and help the vulnerable members of the society sitting in these benches.
Police and Crime Commissioner Sue Mountstevens said, “The Chat Bench is a fantastic new initiative that I hope encourages those of all ages to many more conversations in the future.” She also encouraged everyone to “stop by and say ‘hello'” saying that it could make their presence felt to the person on the bench. She also said that it would “make huge difference to that person’s life”, especially if he/she is going through something difficult.
The same initiative is also being practiced in developing countries like Zimbabwe in Africa, where it seems successful in alleviating mental illness for thousands of the vulnerable group.
A review of the initiative showed that patients with depression or anxiety who received problem-solving therapy through the Friendship Bench in Zimbabwe were over three times less likely to experience depression symptoms after six months. Anxiety symptoms are also four times less likely and suicidal tendencies became five times less prevalent than the control group.
Grand Challenges Canada’s Chief Executive Officer, Dr. Peter A. Singer, said that mental distress is a major problem for many countries and that innovations like the “Friendship Bench” is needed.
“We need innovations like the Friendship Bench to flip the gap and go from 10% of people receiving treatment, to 90% of people receiving treatment.”
Vegan Guy Gets ‘Traumatized’ After Eating Vegan-Pizza With Ham
“I felt shame and pain for the animal.”
- Patrick Hukins, a vegan man, fell ill after eating real ham from a plant-based pizza he bought at Doomino's.
- The company has since apologized about the error, promising that they will do their best to avoid similar mistakes.
12 Signs That Scream “I’m Getting Older”
Do you feel old? You probably are. Here are 10 signs that time is indeed catching up with you…
- Relative as it is to many, ageing, for some people, remains to be one scary concept
- Despite the number of available materials meant to help our elderly loved ones confront the reality of ageing in the healthiest way possible, acceptance remains a long and slow, if not painful, process
- To some people, however, ageing is hard to accept especially when the obvious physical signs of old age set in really late
Company Gets Bashed For Shaming A Job Applicant On Social Media
The company posted her photo and wrote “I am looking for a professional marketer – not a bikini model.”
A marketing company has sparked outrage online after shaming one of their job applicants on social media. Kickass Masterminds, a Texas-based firm, shared the bikini photo of Emily Clow on their Instagram story and implied she didn't get the internship position because of the said image.
Like Us On Facebook
Daredevil Tried Proving Earth Is Flat, Dies After Launching Himself in Homemade Rocket
Teacher Stumbles Upon an Adorable Sight of Three Baby Bears “Dancing” in the Forest
A Puppy Who Can’t Walk Becomes Friends With a Pigeon Who Can’t Fly
Teen Girl Shares Sad Story of Living In The Wuhan Outbreak
A “Prophet” in Malawi Allegedly Sells Soap That Can Wash Away Your Sins
Is Quaden Bayles Really 18 Years Old and His Bullying Story a Scam?
Woman Captures Powerful “Eye of the Storm” Photo When Storm Ciara Subsided
Calf Born on Valentine’s Day Has a Perfect Heart-Shaped Mark on Her Forehead