- Solar Foods, in cooperation with NASA and ESA, are harvesting carbon dioxide and turning it into food.
- The resulting product is called Solein – a protein-rich product that tastes like wheat flour but looks like a protein powder shake.
- Solar Foods said they are able to produce 60,000 kg product per hectare, which is almost 1,000x more than traditional farming.
- It is projected to be sustainable, renewable and environment-friendly food of the future that will just cost 5 euros per kilo.
Ever wondered what would happen if we ran out of food sources in the planet? Should we learn to filter-feed air like Spongebob Squarepants? Well, worry not! Because food made out of thin air has just become a reality!
It all started with an idea from NASA. What if all that excess carbon dioxide in the air is harvested and turned into protein building blocks? After years of research and perfecting the bioreaction, Finnish company Solar Foods did just that.
Pasi Vainikka, CEO and founder of Solar Foods explained in a tech showcase in 2019 how the process was made. Basically, they have a carbon capture equipment that harvests it from the carbon dioxide in the air. These are then reacted with vitamins, minerals, some water and electricity generated from solar energy. The process is similar to yeast fermentation and the resulting product is a flour-like and protein-rich compound, which they named – Solein.
A simple diagram explaining Solein food bioprocess:
Watch this video for a short explanation of how they make food out of thin air:
Solein tastes just like wheat flour and can also have varying textures. It can range from flour-like, protein-shake or panko (bread-crumb) looking or fibery. The applications are endless to making breads, pasta and pastry, to making meat-like food, and even shakes and yogurts.
Aside frombeing environment-friendly and sustainable, it is nutritious, too! According to reports, the product is composed of up to 65-75% protein, 10-20% carbohydrates, 4-10% fat, and 4-10% minerals.
What solein looks like:
The astronauts from the European Space Agency might be the first consumers for Solein as Solar Foods is currently seeking a license in EU and a partnership with ESA. Large-scale consumer production is projected to start in 2021.
All in all, it does look like a promising solution to worldwide food shortage. It may also address our problems in obesity if the ingredients have lower sugar and carbohydrate content. We can all just hope it does taste as good as it all appears in concept.
Elon Musk Says His Brain Chip Will Allow People to Hear Sounds Past Normal Frequencies
With this tech, users can hear inaudible sounds and stream music straight from their brains.
- Elon Musk declared that his brain-computer interface will allow people to hear previously indistinct sounds.
- He also claimed that through this chip, we can listen to music directly from our brain.
- Musk will present more details about this technology on August 28.
UV Disinfection Robots Help Fight Viruses To Keep Humans Safe
These robots ensure a safe and disinfected room – before you even enter.
- UV Disinfection robots kill 99.99% of pathogens in high risk areas.
- They utilize ultraviolet light to destroy viruses and bacteria within 15 minutes.
- Already used in many countries around Europe and Asia, it provides effective disinfection and limits human exposure to harmful microorganisms.
- Due to the coronavirus pandemic, there has been an increased interest in the use of these robots.
3 Spacecraft Are Bound For Mars This Month
Three state-of-the-art spacecraft from three different countries head to the red planet this July.
- United Arab Emirates (UAE), China, and the United States launching their Mars-bound spacecraft this month.
- This is the first Mars expedition for UAE and China.
- Their avant-garde landers and rovers will help conduct a comprehensive study of the planet's atmosphere and rock samples.
The Circular Gardens of Brøndby Haveby
Algar de Benagil, Portugal’s Most Stunning Sea Cave
5 Fun Activities To Do When You’re In White Sands, New Mexico
At Least 380 Whales Dead In Australia’s Largest-Ever Mass Stranding
Sci/Tech2 days ago
Man Flies Like Iron Man Using A Jet Powered Flying Suit
Videos5 days ago
“Pull It Out, Prove it” Dude Walks Out After His Girl Reveals She’s Actually A Man
History6 days ago
‘The Silent Killer’: The Untold Story of Nieves Fernandez, The Teacher Who Killed 200 Japanese Soldiers
People6 days ago
Anti-Mask Protesters in Florida Storm Target Yelling “Take Off Your Masks”