Nigerian authorities have recently confiscated an estimated 2.5 metric tons of alleged fake rice. According to reports, the Nigerian Custom Service was able to seize 102 bags of Best Tomato Rice after being alerted by a concerned customer.
Although the health ministry has issued a statement encouraging citizens to stay calm since no solid proof has yet confirmed that the rice was fake or made from toxic chemical substances, the National Agency for Food Drug Administration Control hasn’t released their investigative report yet.
Meanwhile, Mohammed Haruna of the Federal Operations Unit, described the rice as ‘plastic’ during a press conference in Lagos, Nigeria.
“We have done the preliminary analysis on the plastic rice. After boiling, it was sticky and only God knows what would have happened if people consumed it.”
At the moment, it remains uncertain where the rice’s shipment originated.
In a CNN interview, Jerry Attah, public relations officer for the assistant superintendent of customs, told:
“A consultant said he was given 221 bags to distribute.”
Kikelomo Adediti, a customer, shared that she recently bought about 2kg of fake rice from a retailer just last month.
“It looked perfectly normal and cost less [than regular rice] so I thought I got a great deal. Normally it would take about 20 minutes [to cook] but after 30 minutes it was still hard. I added more water and the aroma was chemical in nature so I decided to discard it thinking it had expired.”
You can watch the video report here:
Attah stated that it’s still unknown whether the rice is really made of plastic.
“If you look at it it’s rice. If you look at the pictures it’s rice. If you cook it and eat it it’s rice. It’s only when you touch it you’ll feel it that you realize it’s not.
“That’s why I call it fake rice, not plastic rice. To me it’s more like flour coated in maybe rubber… I don’t know the kind of formulations or chemicals they use.”
According to Attah, a total of 221 bags came into Nigeria but only 102 of those were seized. That means 119 of them have probably been distributed in the market.
A 100-Ton Pile of Garbage Threatens One of Shanghai’s Major Drinking Water Reservoirs
“This is so sad, just humanity digging its own grave.”
A 100-ton pile of garbage, including medical and household waste, had washed up near a drinking water reservoir on the island of Chongming in Shanghai, China. The said place is home to approximately 700,000 people.
Although officials have yet to confirm the culprits, it is suspected that two ships have disposed of these wastes somewhere upstream in the Yangtze River. The rubbish has since drifted downstream towards and has now collected around the Dongfengxisha Reservoir, one of the four primary water reservoirs of the city. Fortunately, water tests reveal that the drinking water has not been contaminated and that it is still safe to drink. Furthermore, officials say that the water inflow to the reservoir has temporarily ceased while testing and clean-up efforts remain underway.
In an interview with Shanghai Daily's Yang Jian, Song Jian, the Deputy General Manager of the water reservoir management company said:...
Major Public Health Breakthrough: A Highly Effective Ebola Vaccine Has Been Developed
Its regulatory approval is being fast-tracked!
An experimental vaccine against Ebola Virus Disease proved to be highly effective in providing protection from the deadly infection after a clinical trial in Guinea. The vaccine is the first to offer substantial protection against the lethal Zaire Ebolavirus, one of the five species of ebolavirus known to man.
The vaccine, which is called rVSV-ZEBOV, was administered to a total of 5, 837 out of the 11, 841 people who participated in the study in the coastal region of Basse-Guinée, Guinea in 2015. Among those who received the vaccine immediately, no cases of Ebola was documented for 10 days or more after immunization. On the contrary, among those who received delayed vaccination or no vaccination at all, 23 people developed the infection.
An Ebola virus virion visualized under colorized transmission electron micrograph (TEM).
A Teenage Boy Was Almost Decapitated by Earphones in a Horrific Motorcycle Accident
Wired earphones worn under helmets can be potentially life-threatening.
One more item has been added to the list of the deadliest things on Earth. Care to hazard a guess on what might this item be? This might surprise you but it's something that looks utterly harmless.
Your wired earphones.
Bradley Willoughby, a 16-year-old boy from Queensland, Australia was almost decapitated due to a motorcycle accident that occurred while he was practicing jumps. He made a bad landing and the motorbike's throttle jammed, making him veer off into a barbed wire fence. The teenage boy was badly injured. ...
Like Us On Facebook
Doctor Moves Into a Tent in Own Garage to Protect Family While Treating COVID-19 Patients
Delivery Guy Caught Spitting on Package Amidst COVID-19 Scare
U.S. Now Leads the Number of Coronavirus Cases in the World
Service Dog in Training Serves as Stress Reliever for ER Doctors