Thirteen sperm whales were found beached on Schleswig-Holstein, Germany. The necropsy report has been finally released, and the result is both sad and disturbing.
According to a press release from Wadden Sea National Park, the stomachs of four out of the 13 whales that were stranded on the North Sea coast were full plastic debris and car parts.
Experts said they found a plastic car engine cover, a 43-foot-long shrimp fishing net, and the remnants of a plastic bucket.
Robert Habeck, environment minister for the state of Schleswig-Holstein, stated:
“These findings show us the results of our plastic-oriented society. Animals inadvertently consume plastic and plastic waste, which causes them to suffer, and at worst, causes them to starve with full stomachs.”
Nicola Hodgkins of Whale and Dolphin Conservation (WDC) echoed that statement. She said:
“Although the large pieces will cause obvious problems and block the gut, we shouldn’t dismiss the smaller bits that could cause a more chronic problem for all species of cetacean – not just those who suction feed.”
But the team of researchers who performed the autopsy said that it was not the litter which caused the demise of the gigantic creatures. Ursula Siebert, head of the Institute for Terrestrial and Aquatic Wildlife Research at the University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, stated that the animals experienced heart failure.
It is likely that they inadvertently swam into shallow seas in search of squid. However, the sperm whales, which were all young males aged 10-15, could not support their own body weights in the shallow water. Consequently, their internal organs collapsed.
“It is thought that the sperm whales may have got lost and entered the North Sea (possibly chasing squid), where the sea floor is not deep enough, causing the whales to become disorientated,” Danny Groves, a spokesperson for the non-profit WDC, wrote in an email.
Nevertheless, some people believe that the fact that these whales’ stomachs were full of plastic debris is a clear indication of how we human beings disregard marine life.
This is not the first time a dead sperm whale has been found with its stomach full of plastic garbage.
In 2011, a young, sperm whale was found dead off the coast of Mykonos, Greece. Biologists thought it had swallowed a giant squid when they saw how distended its stomach was. During the autopsy, they found almost a hundred plastic bags and other pieces of debris in its gut.
Many kinds of trash enter the ocean; however, it is vital for us to know that approximately 80% of the plastic we throw on land ends up in there. And sadly, these sea creatures accidentally consume them.
Brave Rescuers Help Bear That Had a Bucket Stuck On its Head For a Month
Bucket bear was finally freed, thanks to these brave animal rescue volunteers.
The people of Perry Township, Clarion County called him ”Bucket Bear”.
The young, black bear had been roaming the highway and the forests of western Pennsylvania with a bucket-like object stuck on its head for over a month.
When a woman named Krissy Elder saw him, she contacted the Pennsylvania Game Commission to ask for help; however, she was told that they couldn’t do anything while the bear was healthy and “mobile.”
This Weird Fish Chooses to Live Inside a Sea Cucumber’s Butt
Okay, this looks gross…
If you have a chance to be reincarnated and the only option for you is to be reborn as a sea creature, you would definitely not choose to be a sea cucumber, which looks like a lump of intestine crawling around the sea floor.
It's not the prettiest thing and spends its life eating up algae, very small aquatic animals, and waste products, and then breaking down its particles to recycle back to the ocean's ecosystem.
Australian Dad Proves Why You Should Check Your Shoes First Before Wearing Them
Be warned and take this dad’s advice.
Australia has quite a reputation for dangerous spiders. In fact, more than 2,400 species of spider can be found there and less than 50 of them are harmful to humans. While this is rather alarming, scientists reported that bee stings are more deadly than spider bites on Australian shores.
Meanwhile, this concerned Australian parent constantly reminds his son about leaving his shoes outside the house. Apparently, he forgot that he left them over the weekend and now he just learned his lesson the hard way.
"And this is why you should always check them before putting them back on," the dad says.
Like Us On Facebook
90-Year-Old Grandfather Came Out as Gay During the Pandemic
Devoted Husband Succumbs to Coronavirus After Visiting Wife on Deathbed
Novel Coronavirus Found on Frozen Seafood Packaging in China
Scientists Are Warning Against Russia’s Covid-19 Vaccine
- News6 days ago
Beirut Ignored Public Warning There Was A Russian ‘Bomb’ At The Port
- News6 days ago
43 Days of Monsoon Rain Devastate South Korea with Deadly Floods and Over 200 Landslides
- Art5 days ago
‘John Wick 5’ Confirmed, Will Be Filmed Back-to-Back With 4th Movie
- History5 days ago
Tasaday Stone Age Tribe: A Philippines Savage Hoax That Fooled The World