- While snowboarding in 2017, Tony Thogmartin fell into an accident that broke his back and caused him to be wheelchair-bound.
- In spite of what happened, he eventually decided to pursue a new passion: extreme wheelchair skating where he is now achieving fame and inspiring people.
In 2017, newbie snowboarder Tony Thogmarin found himself in a lifechanging accident that led to him breaking his back. He ended up spending 40 days in the hospital and he got paralysed from the waist down.
Fast forward to the present, he is now 25 years old and, as it appears, he hasn’t abandoned his passion for action and adventure at all. Although he has been wheelchair-bound since the tragedy, he did not allow that to stop him from pursuing what he loves best – skating.
Now Tony Thogmartin is making a name for himself in the world of extreme wheelchair skating!
In a Unilad feature, we read Tony sharing:
“I saw a few people doing it with a wheelchair and it just pushed me to be the best I could be at it.”
Riding his modified WCMX (wheelchair motocross) chair, he pushes himself to the limit enjoying his favorite sport by joining competitions. He took home the silver medal in the North American Championship and 2as named 2nd place in the USA National Championship of Skateboarding.
“I train at the skatepark three-four times a week, but it’s more than just skating. The other days I’m doing some type of body conditioning such as weight training or cardio.
“When I’m at a skatepark, everyone stops and stares in amazement of what they are watching. It makes me really nervous but I’ve accepted it and they are right to stare, it’s pretty crazy.”
So does he still get injuries while wheelchair skating?
“You don’t skate and not get hurt, it’s just part of it,” explained Tony. “In my chair, I have broken my wrist, my finger, and also blew apart my fingertip and had to get it stitched back together.”
“I love my life and wouldn’t change a thing. I have taken this tragedy and turned it into a positive and have had some great opportunities along the way,” he also said.
Watch this video to see him in action:
For more updates, you can go check him out on his official Instagram account.
Awesome Grandma Gets First Tattoo at 103 Years Old
It’s never too late to get your first tattoo – or to chase your dreams!
- 103-year-old Dorothy Pollack has spent months in isolation because of Covid-19.
- When she was finally discharged from her care home, she told her granddaughter she wanted to get a tattoo - something that has always been on her bucket list.
- They took her to a local tattoo shop and she happily got inked for the first time in her life.
Fisherman Found Message in a Bottle Sent by Third-Grader 4,000 Miles Away
The message is so timely, considering she wrote it a year ago.
- Vivian Byerly, an upcoming fifth-grader from North Carolina, wrote a message and put in a bottle in 2019 during "Pirate Day."
- The bottle travelled over 4,000 miles and landed in North Africa.
- A fisherman from Morocco found it after 15 months and wrote the student back.
- The student's inspiring message came at an opportune moment as the world faces this coronavirus pandemic.
Golden Retriever Being Abandoned By Its Owner Was Captured on Video
There should be a special place in hell for people who abandon animals.
- The woman hurriedly ran to her car and drove off, leaving the dog behind.
- Another car passed the area and one can see the dog going after it, thinking it was his owner.
- The dog was rescued and was taken to a shelter.
Wind-Powered Super Cargo Ship That Can Carry 7000 Cars Is Being Developed
Adorable Dog Cries While Watching ‘Lion King’
The Flaming Lips Holds Concert with the Band and Audience Inside Plastic Bubbles
The Pyramid of North Dakota
5-Year-Old Girl Brings Mom’s Lube To School To Use As Hand Sanitizer
Cyclist Beats Red Light and Heads Straight into Cars Pulling Away from Intersection
The Pyramid of North Dakota
Cappadocia, Turkey’s Otherworldly Landscape Built by Man and Mother Nature
OMG5 days ago
Fishermen Baffled After Catching One-Eyed Baby Shark
People5 days ago
61-Year-Old Dad Wears Skirts And Heels Daily To Break Gender Stereotypes
Funny4 days ago
Reddit Thread Shows The Most Hilarious Occupational Mishaps Ever
Interesting3 days ago
Can You Find The 7 Hidden Letters In This Colorful Square Brain Teaser?