- Tasmania as Australia’s first jurisdiction to allow gender on birth certificates to become optional.
- One needs to be 16 years old and above.
- Gender reassignment surgery not needed.
Transgenders in Tasmania have a lot to celebrate about – they are now allowed to change the gender indicated on their birth certificates. They don’t have to go through surgery to do so.
The reforms were passed in parliament in April and predictably became controversial. It was opposed by the Liberal state government but passed the lower house.
This makes Tasmania as Australia’s first jurisdiction to allow gender on birth certificates to become optional.
Back when the law was still in the proposal stages, the main argument behind was the embarassment and discrimination experienced by transgender people whenever their birth certificate was requested, as they were forced to “out themselves”.
One needs to be 16 years old or older in order to apply for the change without needing the consent of his or her parents.
Transgenders and people who advocate gender diversity are planning to celebrate the historic passage of the law by bringing champagne and cupcakes at the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in Hobart.
Religious groups were expectedly against the reform. The Australian Christian Lobby considered the removal of gender on birth certificates as a move ignoring biological truths.
The new gender laws in Tasmania have the following conditions:
- The registrar will still indicate the sex of a person as either male or female. The parents will choose which gender to put in their child’s birth certificate.
- A person 16 years and older has the prerogative to change his or her gender by making a declaration.
- Sexual reassignment surgery is not required for a person to make the change.
- For those under 18 years old, they need to go undergo counseling that supports their decision.
- Using documents from one’s former identity to “deceive” is strictly prohibited.
- A person who is not legally female can terminate pregnancies
- If a person has to undergo a strip search, he or she can choose a male or female personnel to carry out the search.
Most of the states and territories of Australia already allow birth certificates that indicate gender as something other than male or female.
The ACT, NSW, South Australia, and the Northern Territory provide different gender-neutral options that can be put on a person’s birth certificate. These include intersex, indeterminate, non-binary, other, and unknown.
Pope Francis Expresses Worry About Amazon Fires
The pope is urging believers to pray for the rainforest because it is “vital for our planet.”
- Pope Francis, world leader of the Catholic Church, has recently spoken about the Amazonian rainforest fires.
- He encouraged followers of the faith to pray for the burning to stop.
- Other Catholic leaders have also issued a statement, asking for immediate action to "save the lungs of the world."
Australian Children Are Now Allowed To Select Their Gender
Anyone, including children, can now change their birth certificate gender if they want.
- Victoria, Australia has passed a new bill allowing citizens, including children, to change gender on their birth certificates.
- Victoria is the fifth state to pass the law in the country.
UAE Woman Divorces Husband Because He Doesn’t Argue and He Even Helps Clean the House
While other women can only dream of a man like this…
- She told the court that her husband is too kind and never yelled at her even once.
- She claimed to be "choked by his extreme love and affection."
- The husband begged the court not to grant the divorce.
Like Us On Facebook
Pastor ‘Destroys’ Coronavirus by Blowing It Away
Truck Drivers And Other Frontline Workers Can Have $25K Hazard Pay From “Heroes Funds”
Critic Who Slammed China For Coronavirus Response Goes ‘Missing’
Two Pandas Mate For The First Time In 13 Years During COVID-19 Quarantine
Student Regrets Joining Spring Break Party After 72 Of Them Contracts COVID-19
Thousands of Chinese Tourists Flock To Popular Spots After China Lifts Lockdown
Rihanna Donates $5M to Food Banks Amid COVID-19 Outbreak
Parents in India Name Newborn Twins As Corona And Covid
Interesting1 day ago
Funeral Dancers For Hire Are In Demand In Ghana
News1 day ago
Panic Buyers In The U.K. Are Throwing Out Their Excess Food To Garbage Bins
News2 days ago
Tiger in New York Zoo Tests Positive of the Coronavirus
News1 day ago
Nurse Gets Suspended After Buying Protective Supplies For Fellow Frontliners Using GoFundMe Money