- A pregnant wild elephant has died in India after it accidentally ate a pineapple with firecrackers inside.
- Investigations are now ongoing as authorities try to discover those responsible for the horrible act.
A pregnant wild elephant in India recently died after eating a pineapple which was stuffed with firecrackers. According to reports, the tragic incident happened in Malappuram, India.
In an article by New Indian Express, we read that the 15-year-old elephant wandered outside the Silent Valley National Park in Palakkad, Kerala as it was trying to hunt for food. Unfortunately, she ended up consuming the trap meant for capturing wild boars and so it led to its untimely demise.
The elephant was found in a stream where she eventually collapsed and died.
Forest officer Mohan Krishnan saw how the blast damaged the animal’s tongue and mouth.
“She must have been more worried about the health of the child inside her than about her own hunger.”
Naturally, social media netizens couldn’t help but express outrage about the tragedy.
Many even posted powerful tributes while others angrily condemned animal cruelty.
Another official Sunil Kumar said that those responsible for the incident could face serious criminal charges, especially since Asiatic elephants are considered endangered species.
Meanwhile, Dr David Abraham later performed an autopsy on the poor elephant and he found out that the animal died because of asphyxia.
According to the doctor, they didn’t even know that the elephant was pregnant and so they were shocked upon their discovery.
“I have so far done more than 250 postmortems of elephants alone in my more than two decades career. But this was the first time I was so moved as I could hold the [fetus] of the baby in my hands,” Dr Abraham said.
Investigations are currently ongoing to find the culprits behind the disgusting deed.