Connect with us

OMG

Infant Gets Hospitalized After Vitamin D Overdose

She was worried about her health but she didn’t know that it was her who inadvertently did that to her baby.

Becky Jackson became worried when she noticed that Elizabeth was not growing as fast as her twin brother, Joe. The mom from Omaha, Nebraska had been comparing both of them. At one point she thought that, maybe, Joe was just going to be bigger than his sister.

However, when she looked back at some photos, she began to feel more concerned about her daughter. Elizabeth’s eyes were sunken, and she had an odd skin color. The then 6-month-old child was also losing weight and was lethargic. So, she took Elizabeth to a pediatrician.

She learned that her baby was on the verge of malnourishment.

Source: KETV

Jackson said:

“They labeled her as ‘failure to thrive.’

“I was scared. I didn’t know what was going to happen.”

Then, the blood results came. It revealed that Elizabeth’s calcium levels were high due to Vitamin D toxicity — a condition that may cause arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), kidney stones, and may ultimately lead to kidney failure.

Elizabeth received treatment at Omaha’s Children’s Hospital and Medical Center for ten days. To help stabilize her condition, they administered IV fluids and worked on her feedings. Dr. Monina Cabrera, a pediatric endocrinologist, also began to investigate the source of the problem.

Until Jackson came to realize something.

“I did this. I did this.” she said. “I had no idea there could be such a negative effect.”

Apparently, she accidentally caused the overdose.

Jackson wasn’t producing enough breast milk to feed the twins. Since Joe has a “fussy tummy,” she decided to keep him on breast milk and find an alternative for Elizabeth.

She found a recipe formula online.

Jackson used powdered goat’s milk, coconut milk, and other liquid vitamins. “I was supplementing her with a very organic homemade formula,” she said.

Source: ketv

She followed the recipe. But although Dr. Cabrera confirmed that there was nothing wrong with the baby formula the mom found on the internet, she decided to tweak it a little by adding more Vitamin D.

Source: ketv

Instead of adding a DROP of Vitamin D for every 32 ounces of formula — as the recipe instructed — she’d add a dropper-full of the vitamin. She gave Elizabeth about 8,000 times more than the appropriate dosage.

“I was adding too much Vitamin D. I wasn’t following the recipe as it said. I thought more must be good.”

Dr. Cabrera reminds parents to disclose their baby’s formula with a pediatrician or a dietician prior to feeding.

“I think that it’s just important to realize the impact that vitamins can have, negative and positive, and to not think that it’s OK,” Jackson said.

Fortunately, Elizabeth didn’t suffer from any long-term complications.

Watch this pediatrician explain proper Vitamin D usage and dosage:

Like Logo on Facebook

Funny

20 of the Worst Marriage Proposals Ever!

#13 is both hilarious and facepalm-worthy!

Marriage proposals, when done right, can be a very special and memorable experience for a couple. Nothing compares to that precious moment of popping up the golden question and asking someone to be your life’s companion. It’s exciting, nerve-wracking, and definitely life-changing.

In the past, we’ve featured some of the most romantic and creative marriage proposals here on our site. Not surprisingly, they’ve been well-received among our readers and the posts received numerous likes, shares, and comments.

We’re turning the tables this time around though and so instead of featuring some of the best proposals, we’ll give you 20 that are absolutely among the dumbest ones a person can think of....

Continue Reading

OMG

Baby Dolphin Dies As Beachgoers Pass It Around for Selfies

Some people can be so dumb!

Here’s another reason to hate those selfie-obsessed individuals.

A tiny dolphin just died after beachgoers at the Santa Teresita resort in Beunos Aires, Argentina took the marine mammal from the water and passed it around to take selfies with it. Some of the photos recently surfaced on social media showing dozens of people flocking around the poor dolphin to pose for pictures.

Now that’s really, really disgusting....

Continue Reading

OMG

These Women Set The Best Example On Why You Should Read Product Labels

Not reading product labels can land you at the hospital.

By

Here’s one of those stories that will literally make you confused. You don’t know if you would laugh or be sad about it.

A woman in Eastern Europe was sent to the Emergency Room at the local hospital after mistakenly using a can of builder’s foam for a regular hair mousse. The woman looked so apathetic at the ER room while waiting for the hospital’s medical staff to attend to her bizarre looking hair.

The woman looked like someone who just came from a festival in some tropical country with a bouquet of flowers being put on her head. It really looked funny but she was definitely not laughing, and nobody blames her for that. ...

Continue Reading