- Located near Mount Fuji, Aokigahara Forest is home to diverse flora and fauna
- It is a popular tourist destination among hikers and people interested in the macabre
- Aside from being known as the “Sea of Trees”, it is also notoriously known as the “Suicide Forest”
Japan is known for its advanced technology, anime, manga, cultural treasures, and of course, Mt. Fuji. But did you know that close to this iconic spot is another popular place, but for spooky reasons?
Enter Aokigahara Forest – a dense forest nestled near the northwestern base of Mount Fuji. Also known as the Sea of Trees, it is a popular tourist destination due to the abundance of caves in the area and its rich flora and fauna. Despite its beauty, it holds a tragic reputation.
The beautiful flora of Aokigahara thrives on a hardened lava forest floor.
Aside from being known as the “Sea of Trees”, Aokigahara is also unfortunately known as the “Suicide Forest” due to it being a common site for suicide. Legend has it that the forest was also a site for ubasute, or the practice of taking elderly or sick relatives to a remote location and leaving them there to die.
Today, locals say they can spot three types of visitors to the area: those who are interested in trekking and seeing the beautiful scenery; those who are interested in the macabre and want to catch a glimpse of it; and those who have no plans of leaving. In 2010, 247 cases of suicide attempts inside the forest were recorded by the authorities, 54 of which completed the act.
Because Aokigahara is vast and dense, visitors whose purpose is to end their lives are unlikely to come across anyone who can prevent them from attempting suicide. To address this, authorities have put up signs throughout the forest discouraging people from attempting suicide. These signs have inspirational messages such as ” Your life is a precious gift from your parents,” and “Please consult the police before you decide to die!”, accompanied by suicide prevention hotlines.
The forest is filled with signs, especially on discouraging people from attempting suicide.
Despite the government’s efforts to curb the suicides in Aokigahara, some still occur. If the bodies are found and reported, workers must bring the remains back to and keep it at the police station, for it is believed to bring bad luck to the spirit of the deceased should the body be left alone.
In 2018, Aokigahara gained international attention again after a famous Youtuber uploaded a video that showed the body of a suicide victim inside the forest. If you plan to visit the forest for its beauty but stumble upon the mortal remains of a lost soul, please be respectful and contact local authorities.
If you are having thoughts of suicide, online help is available to anyone in distress. These hotlines are available 24/7.
A Convicted Murderer Who Momentarily Died Says His Life Sentence Has Been Served
American convicted murderer says he’s being imprisoned illegally after a brief “death” at the hospital in 2015.
- In 1996, Benjamin Schreiber was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole after he clubbed a man to death
- In 2015, he briefly "died" in the hospital while being treated for septic shock
- Schreiber claims he is being imprisoned illegally and should be immediately released
China Imposes Curfew For Minors To Combat Video Game Addiction
Some gamers are complaining that the new regulation is “very unfair.”
- China has announced that a new regulation will be imposed to combat video game addiction among minors.
- The policy includes a curfew for gaming, as well as certain limitations for the aoun gamers can spend each month.
- So far, netizens have mixed reactions about it.
Idaho Couple Builds the Perfect Airbnb Rental for Dog Lovers
It’s the perfect place for you and your furry companion!
- Looking for a unique experience for you and your dog? There's an amazing Airbnb for humans and canines in Idaho.
- The stunning beagle-shaped home was built by two artists who love dogs.
- In addition to its unique shape, the bed & breakfast is filled with doggy-inspired artwork and goodies that your puppy will love.
Like Us On Facebook
Man Gets Robbed Seconds After Withdrawing $200,000 Life Savings
Jason Momoa Restores His Wife’s First Car, A 1965 Mustang, As A Birthday Gift
Woman Infected With COVID-19 Breaks Quarantine Because She Needs to Get Her “Nails Done So Bad”
New Snapchat Filter Transforms Your Dogs Into Disney Characters
Scientists Are Warning Against Russia’s Covid-19 Vaccine
American Man Dies from Bubonic Plague, As China Puts Another Village in Lockdown
Florida Teacher Writes Own Obituary to Object School Reopening Amidst Covid-19 Pandemic
Novel Coronavirus Found on Frozen Seafood Packaging in China
- News7 days ago
43 Days of Monsoon Rain Devastate South Korea with Deadly Floods and Over 200 Landslides
- Art6 days ago
‘John Wick 5’ Confirmed, Will Be Filmed Back-to-Back With 4th Movie
- History6 days ago
Tasaday Stone Age Tribe: A Philippines Savage Hoax That Fooled The World
- OMG3 days ago
Thai Ladyboys Turn Heads in Recent Military Draft