The icy continent of Antarctica covers over 5.4 million square miles and is the world’s fifth largest continent. The place is located within the Arctic Circle, which only means that temperatures always fall below zero most of the year.
Here are other 25 fun and amazing facts about Antarctica you need to know.
1. A red waterfall can be found in Antarctica.
2. Polar bears don’t live in Antarctica but the continent is home to lots of penguins.
3. Antarctica doesn’t follow an official timezone.
4. The highest temperature ever recorded in the continent is 58.2 degrees Fahrenheit or 14.5 degrees Celsius.
5. Mount Erebus, which spews crystals, is the most active volcano on the southernmost part of the Earth.
6. There are two ATMs in Antarctica operated by Wells Fargo but only one can be used at a time.
7. 90% of the fresh water on Earth is on the continent.
8. You cannot get a job in Antarctica unless you have had your wisdom teeth extracted and appendix removed.
9. Antarctica once had a warm temperature like in present-day California.
10. At least seven Christian churches have been erected in Antarctica.
11. Antarctica has a Chile civilian town that has a hospital, school, hostel, Internet, post office, mobile phone and TV coverage.
12. A scientist in the continent scored a date with a girl via Tinder. The girl was camping just 45 minutes away.
13. The average thickness of ice in the continent is around 1 mile.
14. Antarctica’s ice sheet is at least 40 million years old.
15. Antarctica is the world’s largest desert.
16. Antarctica is the only place in the world that doesn’t have reptiles.
17. Some parts of the continent have had no rain for the last two million years.
18. Antarctica is where you can find Earth’s coldest place where the temperatures can reach -93.2 degrees Celsius.
19. Beneath the icy land of Antarctica, there are 300 lakes that cannot be frozen as they are warmed by the Earth’s core.
20. Argentina sent a pregnant woman to the continent in 1977 to claim a portion of the land. The boy was the first human ever born in Antarctica.
21. Only less than 1% of Antarctica is permanently ice-free; the rest of the continent is covered in ice.
22. The largest iceberg, which measured 11,000 square kilometers and is considered bigger than Jamaica, separated from Antarctica in 2000.
23. 38 countries have signed a treaty that prohibits mineral mining, military activities, nuclear waste disposal and nuclear explosions in Antarctica.
24. Some places in Antarctica have winds that can reach the speed of 200 mph.
25. The coldest, windiest, driest, and highest continent in the world is Antarctica.
26 Breathtakingly Magical Places In Real Life To Include In Your Bucket List
Fairytale worlds do exist in real life!
If you’ve always been a fan of fairy tales and the magical world they’re set in, these gorgeous and breathtaking places from all over the world should be included in your bucket list.
#1. Skagit Valley Tulip Fields, United States
13 Mysterious Monuments That Are Totally Out Of This World
It’s always baffling to think how these ancient structures have been built in the first place.
We gotta admit that our ancestors have built some really amazing structures that just by looking at them now, you would be scratching your head in wonder as to how they were able to make something impossible look possible. These buildings have been around for thousands of years and yet they still exist up to now for us to appreciate and learn from.
Experts have come up with tons of theories ranging from sane to the crazy just to be able to come up with an answer for the questions that go with each structure. Looking at the photos below, you’d be agreeing with us that they are peculiarly astonishing.
#1. Stonehenge, England
5 Intriguing Places in the World No One is Ever Allowed to Visit
There’s a reason for the Do Not Enter sign after all. Don’t say we didn’t warn you!
Even the most well-traveled person on Earth will never be allowed to visit the following places we’re about to reveal to you. Apart from the fact that they are pretty much inaccessible and hard to reach by common transport modes, they each have their own top-secrets to protect from prying eyes of tourists.
Besides, if you know what’s good for you, it would be best for you not to try at all. Just leave these places alone and allow them to be as intriguing as they have always been. At least there’s something to pique your curiosity from time to time!
1. Mount Weather Emergency Operations Center, Virginia
Like Us On Facebook
New Snapchat Filter Transforms Your Dogs Into Disney Characters
Nurse Evicted from Boarding House After Telling Landlady She Has Covid-19
90-Year-Old Grandfather Came Out as Gay During the Pandemic
Devoted Husband Succumbs to Coronavirus After Visiting Wife on Deathbed
- News6 days ago
Beirut Ignored Public Warning There Was A Russian ‘Bomb’ At The Port
- News6 days ago
43 Days of Monsoon Rain Devastate South Korea with Deadly Floods and Over 200 Landslides
- Art5 days ago
‘John Wick 5’ Confirmed, Will Be Filmed Back-to-Back With 4th Movie
- History5 days ago
Tasaday Stone Age Tribe: A Philippines Savage Hoax That Fooled The World