- Scientists have found that female dragonflies have an interesting way to avoid mating.
- A video reveals that the female would pretend to be dead so that the male will not mate with her.
- The unusual behavior is believed to be a survival tactic.
Women have tried almost every trick in the book to avoid the unwanted advances of men. However, girls might learn something new from dragonflies. It has been revealed that female dragonflies pretend to be dead so that the male would not mate with them. Interestingly, it could be a survival tactic.
Scientists discovered the surprising move while observing moorland hawker dragonflies in the Swiss Alps. In a video, it was revealed that female dragonflies would feign death whenever a male was nearby. The footage shows how one female would freeze in mid-air then drop to the ground, seemingly dead. However, it would then fly away once the male is no longer in sight.
If you think it’s tough avoiding men, be thankful you’re not a female dragonfly.
So why are the female dragonflies taking such extreme measures to reject some sexy time? According to scientists, it has a lot to do with survival. The behavior is called sexual death feigning, a phenomenon where animals pretend to be dead to avoid sex.
There’s a good reason why dragonflies have adopted the tactic. Female dragonflies tend to get injured when forced to mate by aggressive males. In addition to that, females only lay eggs once in their life but could still be forced to mate afterwards. Unfortunately, the safest way to avoid sex if you’re a female dragonfly is to pretend that you are no longer alive.
Dragonflies have found an extreme way to say ‘no’ to males.
It’s an eye-opening discovery considering that procreation is viewed as the main purpose in an animal’s life. On the other hand, female dragonflies might want to enjoy life a little and not have to deal with annoying males all of the time.
Watch the video below:
Octopus Changes Colors While Dreaming In Stunning Video
What does an octopus dream about?
- A stunning video shows a sleeping octopus going through magnificent color changes.
- According to the marine biologist, the octopus named Heidi may have been dreaming about finding a crab and eating it.
- The video somehow confirms that animals can actually dream about their regular routines.
World’s Largest Volcanic Crater Discovered In The Philippines
The caldera was discovered by a New Zealand-based Filipina scientist!
- The largest caldera in the world has been found in the Benham Rise in the Philippines.
- The massive volcanic crater is said to be 92 miles in diameter and may have been created by several huge eruptions throughout history.
- The caldera was discovered by a Filipina scientist who is based in New Zealand.
China’s New Helicopter Actually Looks Like A UFO
China claims the fully-armed aircraft cannot be detected by radar.
China's newest helicopter is an absolute head-turner. Everyone who has seen it so far has the same impression: it looks like a UFO! And it has since created quite a buzz on social media.