A Canadian couple has warned others against walking barefoot on the beach. They contracted hookworms after walking without sandals on the sands of a Dominican Republic resort.
Eddie Zytner and Katie Stephens first experienced itchiness on their feet during their week-long vacation at the IFA Villas Bavaro Resort in Punta Cana. Initially, they thought it was caused by sand fleas.
However, when they got back from the trip, their feet began to swell.
After a few days, the swelling became worse, and small bumps appeared on their toes.
Eddie Zytner said in his Facebook post:
“I feel obligated to make this post for anyone traveling to the Caribbean.”
“My girlfriend and I returned from the IFA Villas Bavaro Resort in Punta Cana last week to find our feet very itchy. On Saturday (20th of January) my feet were itchy and swollen, so I went to the hospital.”
“At first, they thought it was sand fleas, wrapped me up, told me to come back for a checkup tomorrow and sent me on my way.”
Zytner recalled that the first doctors who saw him didn't know what had caused the blisters and inflammation.
Fortunately, they were seen by a doctor, who encountered a similar case ten years ago. He said that a tourist who had returned home from a trip to Thailand had the same case.
The couple apparently contracted larva migrans, which are commonly known as hookworms. These parasites enter the skin, mainly from the soles of the feet, when touching infected and contaminated soil or sand.
The couple believes they contracted the parasite when they walked barefoot on the beach.
Cases of larva migrans are reported in travelers visiting Africa, Asia, the Caribbean and South America. The usual sources of infection are feces-infected sand in beaches where domestic animals may roam.
The couple said they were alarmed to know that they had hookworms in their feet since there are many cases of people dying from parasitic infections. Even though the disease is usually self-limiting, the complications involve an allergic reaction and infection.
Now, they are warning others and sharing their story so that doctors would know the condition when they encounter similar cases.
“We want to make it known to more doctors what it is, what to look for and stuff because it took us a few trips to the hospital to find out what it was.”
A similar case happened in the Caribbean, too. A couple had parasites buried in their bums when they sat on the beach.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advises those who visit beaches to reduce contact with contaminated soil by using shoes and protective clothing. When sitting on the ground, use a towel or other barriers.
Teenagers Get Poisoned Because of Viral Tide Pod Challenge
Parents and authorities are alarmed over the disturbing trend – which is potentially lethal!
Ever heard about the Tide Pod Challenge? Apparently, it’s the new challenge that went viral on the internet most recently – and it’s truly crazy! In the said trend, participants of the challenge (who are mostly teens) take on a dare to eat the bright-colored detergent.
Sounds gross, you say? Well it’s actually much more than that because it could be potentially deadly, the experts warn.
Parents and authorities are alarmed because of the disturbing challenge.
70 Hilarious Classical Art Memes That Make Art More Entertaining
Just another reason to appreciate art even more.
They say that one of the things you should do before you die is visit museums and art galleries. And doing so is a satisfying and overwhelming experience, most especially for the casual visitors. But hey, this work of art has managed to become a source of fun and hilarity. Along with the rise of social media, classical art memes became a thing.
We here at Elite Readers have compiled a list of these hilarious memes for your satisfaction. From what girls are really doing when in the bathroom to proving the idea that hustlers tried to sell Jesus, we got them all for you. And yes, we are confident these memes will make you laugh in a classic way.
Scroll down below and check them out. You can thank us later!...
Young Girl Dies After Paramedics Said She Has Common Flu And Doesn’t Need Treatment
The paramedics said she’s gonna be okay and left.
The flu season is at its peak again. Many individuals go down with the flu, and in some cases things don't turn out well, particularly for those with compromised immune systems. For instance, the flu virus may become worse in people who are at risk of complications such as pregnant women, infants, children, and older adults.
Now, a six-year-old girl, Emily Muth, died of influenza, one of the many others who has suffered complications from the viral disease.