- Alaska’s popular “Into The Wild” bus has been airlifted by authorities after it has been deemed dangerous.
- Visitors loved to see the abandoned vehicle due to the popularity of the 1996 book and 2007 movie.
- According to local officials, removing the bus is “the right thing” especially since several trekkers have gotten injured, stranded, and have even died trying to reach the attraction.
It’s been a popular tourist attraction near Alaska’s Teklanika River and Denali National Park and Preserve. However, authorities have finally decided to remove the ‘Into The Wild’ bus as a safety measure.
The abandoned bus gained popularity because of a 1996 non-fiction book by Jon Krauker and a 2007 movie directed by Sean Penn. The story is about Christopher McCandless who shunned his privileged life to trek across North America. He later died in the bus due to starvation.
Also called “Bus 142” or “The Magic Bus,” the old vehicle has served as an emergency shelter for many hikers and hunters.
Authorities, on the other hand, have often expressed concerns about the number of people visiting the location because of the risks involved during trekking.
Commissioner Corri Feige of the Alaska Department of Natural Resources said:
“We encourage people to enjoy Alaska’s wild areas safely, and we understand the hold this bus has had on the popular imagination. However, this is an abandoned and deteriorating vehicle that was requiring dangerous and costly rescue efforts.
“More importantly, it was costing some visitors their lives.”
Several tourists have reportedly been injured, stranded, or even drowned after attempting to visit the site.
Case in point, five tourists from Italy and one tourist from Brazil has been rescued in April alone.
Alaska National Guard officials used a Chinook helicopter to fly the bus out of the area.
Mayor Clay Walker of Denali Borough also remarked:
“For public safety, we know it’s the right thing. At the same time, it is part of our history and it does feel a little bittersweet to see a piece of our history go down the road.”
Watch this video report:
Italy’s Sicily Island Is Offering To Pay Half And A Third Of Your Flight And Hotel Expenses
The offer is to entice more tourists to visit, following the easing of restrictions.
- The southern Italian island of Sicily has announced that it will shoulder half of the tourist's flight expenses.
- In addition to that, they are also offering to cover a third of the hotel accommodation.
- This is on top of free tickets to many archeological sites and museums.
Lockdown Turns Sea In UK Into A Tropical Paradise
“We’ve never, ever seen the water look this clear before, it’s lovely.”
- Aerial photographs of United Kingdom's coastline showed a change in color during the country's national lockdown.
- The sea of Solent in Portsmouth, England turned from murky to a turquoise azure blue paradise.
- People believe that the change in color was because pollution levels fell during the coronavirus pandemic.
Disney World To Be Back In Business Soon
It will be an entirely different Disney World when the famed theme park opens its gates again on July 11.
- Walt Disney World will open its gates again on July 11.
- The company will impose strict safety guidelines in the park.
- Disney's profit fell by 58% in the first quarter of 2020 compared to the same period last year.
Like Us On Facebook
2 Filipinos Dead, 2 Still Missing, 18 Injured in Beirut Explosion
Greece Turns Ancient Shipwreck Into Amazing Underwater Museum
Lebanese Prime Minister Hassan Diab Vows to Make the People Responsible for Beirut Explosion “Pay the Price”
Emirates To Pay Funeral Costs Of Passengers Who Get Infected With COVID-19
Shocking Videos Capture Massive Explosion in Beirut, Lebanon
Thousands March in Berlin to Protest Germany’s COVID-19 Restrictions
Archeologists Unearth Enormous 3,300-Year-Old Prehistoric Bird Claw, and People Have Varying Opinions About What to Do With It
Filipino Community in Washington D.C. Demands “Barkada” Restaurant to Change Its Name Due to Cultural Appropriation
- Interesting6 days ago
Video of a Vlogger Doing Nothing for 2 Hours Easily Got 1.6 Million Views
- OMG7 days ago
Doctors Remove Live Worm From Woman’s Tonsil After Eating Sashimi
- News5 days ago
500,000-Year Extinct Weishan Volcano in China Appears to be Recharging
- Inspiring6 days ago
6-Year-Old Boy Saves Sister From Dog Attack, Receives ‘Captain America’ Shield And Other Gifts