Connect with us


Woman Makes Duck Egg Hatch By Incubating It In Her Cleavage for 35 Days




  • She rescued it from a nest filled with smashed eggs.
  • She wedged it in her bra for 35 days, rotating the egg 4-5 times a day.
  • She had to help the duckling get out of its shell and take care of it until it becomes well enough.

Betsy Ross was at the park with her husband and kids when they noticed a heartbreaking sight – a duck’s nest with the eggs smashed. Upon closer inspection, they noticed that one of the eggs was still intact. It had a small crack, but they decided it could be still be saved.

So Betsy took the egg home with the intention of making it hatch. With no incubator, she improvised and stored the egg between her breasts to keep it warm, for 35 days.

Betsy posted on Reddit describing her “rescue operation.”

The independent sign language interpreter from Visalia, California works on a contract-basis and at that time, she was out of work. This gave her time to do her “rescue operation.”

The egg had a little crack, but still could be saved.

Betsy called the local wildlife group but they told her that they couldn’t take the egg. She then asked the organization if they would take in the duck if she hatched it, to which they agreed.

She disclosed that her breasts sweat a lot because of the heat, which makes it the perfect environment for the egg.
Warmth and humidity is needed to incubate it. So she placed the egg in her bra, rotating the egg 4-5 times a day.

There was no problem of the egg slipping or falling out of its place, since Betsy explained that she is “a plus size girl so it just kinda fit right between my breast.”

When she had to shower, she made her husband hold the egg for her. She figured that mother ducks needed to leave the nest for a while to hunt for food, so she thought it wouldn’t do damage to the egg if she took time off to shower.

While waiting for the duck to hatch, Betsy researched on what to do during the hatching stage and how to care for the duck afterwards. She found out that she shouldn’t be rotating the egg and that it needs humidity.

So she created a more suitable environment for the egg by making a hatching box using a lamp, plastic container, a bowl of water, gallon bags, and lots of tape.

After 35 days, Betsy started hearing faint peeps from the egg. It was the pipping stage, in which the animal was pushing out of the egg lining. She put the egg in the hatching box and waited.

When the whole day passed by without the duck coming out, Betsy called the vet, who told her that the little bird was trapped by the egg’s membrane.

The vet instructed Betsy to carefully peel away the shell and avoid veins.

“He eventually got out half-way but was still connected to the yolk on the bottom of the egg. I was told it was because he was early but found out on reddit it was from not being warm enough or the temperature not being stable,” Betsy said.

She wrapped the shell, along with the yolk, with a wet paper towel and then put Neosporin on it to prevent infection.
The duckling was weak and wouldn’t stand or move for a few days.
Betsy didn’t give up on him and helped him drink water.
One day, the family woke up to see the duckling walking around. They let the little thing swim in the tub and mud puddles.
They took care of the duck until it was big enough to entrust it to a rescue farm.

Betsy said that the duck is doing well and being taken care of by a girl who adores him.

View Comments