- Originally from the Philippines, 26-year-old Wesley So made history after defeating Magnus Carlsen in the World Fischer Random Chess Championship.
- The young chess grandmaster said “politics” pushed him to leave the country and move to the United States.
He’s merely 26 years old and he’s now officially one of the best chess players in the world. In fact, he recently defeated Magnus Carlsen in Norway at the World Fischer Random Chess Championship with four wins and two draws.
Wesley So has indeed brought great honor to the United States, the country he’s been representing since 2014. Apparently, the chess grandmaster is originally from the Philippines.
Wesley So made history by becoming the first official champion of FIDE World Fischer Random Chess.
In his victory against Carlsen, an evidently happy So shared “It’s my favorite type of chess, and it hasn’t been popular until the last couple of years,” humbly adding he would have easily been defeated by his opponent had they played regular chess.
Born and raised in Cavite, Philippines, So once played for his home country and was even named the youngest Philippine chess team member in 2006. He has been winning local tournaments since he was 9 and he eventually represented the country in international events. By age 12, he was already recognized as the youngest chess grandmaster in the country.
So why did he eventually move to the US? He didn’t like the lack of support and the fact that he was denied certain privileges – like a million peso incentive – despite winning gold at the World Universiade Games held at Kazan, Russia in 2013.
“Because of a quarrel between the kings of the sports bodies, ” So said, “not only did the country refuse to acknowledge my efforts, they refused to give me the P1 million promised to athletes who bring home a gold medal.”
Frustrated by what happened, he almost quit playing chess. Eventually, he decided to move to the US instead when he was offered a chess scholarship. He now lives in Minnesota after he was adopted by actress Lotis Key and her husband Renato “Bambi” Kabigting, a former basketball player.
So while he still considers himself a “true Filipino,” he feels sad for talented athletes from the country who are deprived of opportunities because of “endless cycles of corruption.”
Police Are Implementing Social ‘Chat Benches’ Where Strangers Can Talk
“Sit here if you don’t mind someone stopping by to say hello.”
- Old age is not an easy period for so many people.
- In addition to the sudden change in lifestyle, elderly people also have to deal with problems relating to isolation, boredom, and sometimes, even maltreatment from the society.
- As such, some police units are installing benches which they call 'Friendship Benches' in an effort to help.
- Through these benches, these police units hope to help alleviate loneliness among elderly people, and possibly cheer them up.
- The benches were made available in public parks and are meant to help combat mental distress associated with isolation from the rest of the world.
5 Forgotten People Who Survived In Unexpected Places
These people have survived the test of time and their descendants are still alive today.
What would you do if you found yourself lost in a completely new place where nobody spoke your language? For some people, they decided to make a new home for themselves in unfamiliar territory. Although they have long been forgotten, their descendants continue to thrive in their new homes.
Vegan Guy Gets ‘Traumatized’ After Eating Vegan-Pizza With Ham
“I felt shame and pain for the animal.”
- Patrick Hukins, a vegan man, fell ill after eating real ham from a plant-based pizza he bought at Doomino's.
- The company has since apologized about the error, promising that they will do their best to avoid similar mistakes.
Chinese Textbook Changes Bible Story, Claims Jesus Killed A Sinner
Huge Fire Breaks Out In Huawei 5G Research Facility In China
How An Old TV Caused An Entire Village To Lose Broadband Access Daily For 18 Months
The Circular Gardens of Brøndby Haveby
Sci/Tech3 days ago
Man Flies Like Iron Man Using A Jet Powered Flying Suit
Videos6 days ago
“Pull It Out, Prove it” Dude Walks Out After His Girl Reveals She’s Actually A Man
Travel4 days ago
Sigiriya, an Ancient Fortress in Sri Lanka
Videos2 days ago
Huge Iceberg Flips Over On Arctic Explorers Who Tried To Climb It