Do you ever wonder how it’s like to die from a snakebite? This is what a reptile expert tried to answer when he made a diary detailing the harrowing hours of his life after being bitten by a poisonous boomslang snake.
World-renowned American herpetologist Dr. Karl P. Schmidt was attempting to identify a 30-inch venomous snake at the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago in 1957 when the reptile attacked him. Believing that the poison dose wouldn’t be fatal,he decided to document the effects of the venom instead of seeking medical attention.
Schmidt’s scientific record of the agonizing 15 hours leading to his death chronicles the disturbing consequences of a boomslang snake’s deadly bite.
In less than 24 hours, the reptile expert died of respiratory arrest and cerebral haemorrhage as a result of the snake attack.
“I was discussing the possibility of its being a boomslang when I took it without thinking of any precaution and it promptly bit me on the fleshy aspect of the first joint of the left thumb,” he wrote on his diary.
Watch the eye-opening video of the “Death Diary”.
Because of Schmidt’s death, scientists were compelled to investigate the snake’s venom, which was found to be highly toxic.
According to IFL Science, the boomslang snake was believed to be a harmless species until Schmidt’s death. This may be attributed to the reptile’s shy and non-aggressive nature.
Equipped with a large teeth at the back of their mouths, boomslang snakes pack a deadly bite by injecting hemotoxin into your bloodstream which will make you bleed out from every orifice.
These beautiful snakes with mesmerizing eyes can pack a deadly bite.
In some cases, it can take up to five days before the victim dies of internal bleeding.
But to be able to do that, they have to open their mouths as wide as 170 degrees so they can swaddle around the flesh and thrust.
Although boomslang now ranks as one of Africa’s most venomous snaked, less than 10 deaths caused by its bite were recorded worldwide. Luckily, there’s an anti-venom that can save bite victims.
Man Dies After His Parasitic Worm Gets Cancer
An HIV-positive man died not because of his chronic illness, but because the parasitic worms he harbored in his gut contracted cancer.
Nature truly works in strange ways. An HIV-positive man died not because of his chronic illness, but because the parasitic worms he harbored in his gut contracted cancer.
The New England Journal of Medicine described the bizarre case as a 41-year old man diagnosed to be HIV-positive with extremely low CD4 count. Aside from the viral particles in his body, a fecalysis conducted on his sample yielded a positive result for Hymenolepis nana, a parasitic tapeworm. Further studies showed that tumors were in multiple sites in his body, so samples were taken and sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta. The patient was sent home with antiviral and antihelminthic drugs.
Scientists who tested the patient's samples were left dumbstruck because what they discovered were cancerous cells which were far too small to be of human origin. After running several tests to confirm the origin of the minute cancerous cells, the scientists discovered that the cells contained DNA from the parasite H. nana. ...
She Did Not Ask For Diamonds, She Asked Instead For Her Boyfriend’s Body Part As Engagement Ring!
This couple’s engagement ring might give you the creeps!
Diamonds are supposedly a girl's best friend as a famous saying goes, but not for Carlee Leifkes. She wanted something more intimate. Something that is as long-lasting as a diamond, and that is her fiance's wisdom tooth!
Leifkes and her fiance, Lucas Unger pride themselves in being a non-traditional couple as can be seen by their individual styles, their planned engagement ring and yes, even the plans for their upcoming wedding to be officiated none other than an Elvis impersonator in Las Vegas!
Meet the non-traditional couple: Carlee Leifkes and Lucas Unger
Genius Kid Uses Lighter In Car Full of Laughing Gas. He Instantly Regrets It!
That dude is hot – like literally!
We all know that one mischievous kid in the neighborhood who seems to have a knack for doing stupid stuff. Sometimes, he ends up hurting others or himself in the process – the kind of act that will surely embarrass you to death if you were that child’s parent.
Well, thanks to modern cameras and online sharing sites such as YouTube, those embarrassing moments can now be easily viewed again and again.
Take this 30-second video, for example....
Like Us On Facebook
Touching Moment Man Gets Finally Reunited With Pet Cat Who’s Been Gone For 7 Years
The ‘Wine Bottle Christmas Tree’ May Be The Perfect Tree For Drinkers
Guy Poses His Baby Spider-Man Toy With Cats – And It’s Pretty Hilarious!
Why We Should Avoid ‘Toxic Positivity,’ According To A Therapist
20 Before and After Photos Of Ugly Views Transformed Into Beautiful Street Arts
Family Gets Bashed After Posting Unrealistic Requirements for Babysitter
Man Who Lived In Isolation To Avoid Infecting Others Was Told He’s Not Contagious
Mom Shares Hack To Stop Kids From Begging For Toys This Christmas