Connect with us

News

This Man’s Partner was Tragically Killed by a Barbecue

The couple brought the silent and invincible ‘killer’ inside their tent.

Ann Moises

Posted

(

)

A A A

A closed tent. A couple. One dead body.

In 2011, Roland Wessling and his partner Hazel Woodhams bought a tent and took a trip to the Norfolk Broads. It was supposed to be a fun and relaxing weekend; enjoying the outdoors, going camping, and canoeing.

But when Roland woke up the next day, he looked at his partner and knew at once that she’s already dead. And the terrifying truth was that the killer was still inside their tent. Silent. Invincible. Fatal. Roland’s life was still in danger too, but he didn’t know it.

A picture of Roland and Hazel, taken before the tragic incident in 2011

com

Photo credit: BBC World News
The Perpetrator: Hazel Woodhams died because of carbon monoxide poisoning.

poison

Photo credit: Alamy

It is a colourless and odourless gas emitted by the carbon-based fuel they used the night before for their barbecue.

“We were doing all the cooking, nice and safe, outside the tent.

barbecue

Photo credit: Patienttalk.org

“The barbecue was cold to the touch. There was no smoke coming off it, no glowing, it seemed to be completely inactive,” Roland said.

The couple brought the grill inside their tent after several hours to keep it safe from passers-by and the rain.

“We put it into the porch area of our tent and simply went to sleep,” he added.

But apparently, the barbecue was still active.

fumes

Photo credit: topnews.net

The carbon monoxide from the fuel rose to a toxic level since they were in a small, air-tight tent. The fumes poisoned the couple as they slept; killing Hazel and leaving Roland extremely sick and disoriented that morning.

“I started screaming for help, but we had picked a particular part of the campsite that was very secluded. Nobody heard me,” recounts Roland.

Eventually, he was able to find help and was immediately brought to a hospital. That was when the doctors learned that there was an extremely high level of carbon monoxide in his blood.

Hazel would have been able to identify the perpetrator being a scenes-of-crime officer. She had seen the fatal effects of carbon monoxide before. The couple even had a carbon monoxide detector at home. Unfortunately, they did not see this one coming. They thought it was safe to bring the barbecue grill inside the tent since they have already extinguished the fire.

Sadly, it cost Hazel her life. Roland, however, was fortunate because they were near a treatment centre; he received high-pressure oxygen therapy immediately, which is the appropriate treatment to dislodge carbon monoxide from the haemoglobin. According to the doctors, his neurological recovery has been good.

Carbon Monoxide

coal

More than 50% of the entire world’s population use coal, wood, and dung for cooking. Some people also use these carbon-based fuels to warm their homes.

We know how dangerous it is to be near an open fire, but what most of us don’t know is that an extinguished carbon fuel fire is as lethal, particularly in confined spaces.

Carbon monoxide is converted into carbon dioxide when fuels are burning. But it is continuously being produced even when the flame has gone out.

Once inhaled, carbon monoxide enters the bloodstream and binds with haemoglobin in the red blood cells. Oxygen molecules are attached to haemoglobin and distributed throughout the body. But these are blocked and replaced by carbon monoxide, leaving the vital organs deprived of oxygen. Our brain alone can suffer severe, if not fatal consequences within four minutes without oxygen. People who do survive may gradually experience hearing and vision impairments, difficulty with concentration, anxiety, and depression.

Recognize the signs and symptoms

signs

Photo credit: wlfpd.org

Carbon monoxide poisoning is extremely fatal. It is vital for us to be aware of its signs and symptoms, so we can call for help and ensure that the appropriate treatment will be provided immediately.

Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Nausea
  • Breathless
  • Collapse
Prevention

Tragic events due to carbon monoxide poisoning could be prevented by observing safe practices when using carbon-based fuels.

According to NHS Choices, we must:

  1. Ensure that rooms are well-ventilated. Do not block air vents.
  2. Never use ovens or gas ranges to warm your home.
  3. Never put foils around burners or use very large pots on your stove.
  4. Place an exhaust fan in your kitchen.
  5. Call for service if gas appliances have yellow instead of blue flames.
  6. Never sleep in a room that has a paraffin heater.
  7. Observe for possible carbon monoxide leak including black, grimy marks around stoves or boilers, and gas fires.
  8. Recognize the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Remember that pets can also manifest the same symptoms.

Individuals who have been poisoned by carbon monoxide should receive high-pressure oxygen therapy within minutes or hours after the incident. However, the best way to deal with it is to prevent it from happening. Prevention is still the best solution.

View Comments

News

Interesting Conspiracy Theories About The Tianjin Explosion Revealed

Most people believed the Tianjin explosion was not merely an industrial accident.

Mark Andrew

Published

on

Last August 12, 2015, the entire world was rocked when news reports and social media posts showed a terrifying twin explosion that happened at Binhal New Area in Tianjin, China.

According to initial reports, more than 100 people were killed with over hundreds of others badly injured because of the said incident. Photos also signified the extensive damage and destruction left by the tragic blast including damaged vehicles, buildings, and a huge crater.

Although the true cause of the explosion continues to be unidentified, some are saying that it was an industrial accident.

Continue Reading

News

Dad Who Shook His Crying Baby Girl Will Serve 10 Years in Prison

Because of Davis’ terrible mistake, Cheyenne’s skull was fractured and her brain started bleeding.

Mini Malabanan

Published

on

Amy Owensby never thought leaving her baby Cheyenne  to her former husband James Davis Jr. over the weekend would be the biggest mistake she would ever make.

Apparently, Davis, who was Owensby’s high school sweetheart, lost his cool and shook his crying 8-month-old daughter on August 12, 2012. Initially, Davis tried to hide what he did but eventually admitted to the police what happened.

“All that came crashing down. … I snapped. There’s no reason for it. I don’t know why I did it,” Davis said.

Continue Reading

News

Texas Man Shoots Armadillo, Bullet Bounces Off Hitting His Own Jaw

Instant karma!

Avatar

Published

on

It's sad whenever we hear stories about humans hurting animals too helpless to defend themselves. Most of these poor things do not have the capacity to protect themselves from heartless humans who have nothing better to do. But nature can hit back hard, which is exactly what happened to this man from Cass County, Texas who shot an armadillo that was wandering around his property.

One of the bullets bounced off the animal's shell and hit the man in the jaw.

Not much details have been revealed regarding this bizarre incident that took place in Marietta, Texas. Based on a report by Washington Post, an unnamed homeowner allegedly fired his gun three times at an innocent armadillo that was minding its own business. Unfortunately, one of the bullets bounced off the animal's protective shell and struck the man in his jaw.

Continue Reading

Popular