Bizarre things can happen anywhere, even in forests. Some scientists have become baffled after a footage of an elephant “smoking” in the woods in India went viral.
The 48-second video shows an elephant puffing clouds of smoke into the air, which has left the scientists wondering how it happened.a
The video, which was captured by a scientist from the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS).
The scientist observed how the creature ingests charcoal and blow ashes in a burnt forest during the summer.
Apparently, this unusual behavior is the first video documentation of a pachyderm smoking.
The scientist captured the video in April 2016 but it was only uploaded online recently.
Vinay Kumar, assistant Director of WCS India, said in a statement:
“This was not an unusual sighting, but what we saw her doing was something that I had never witnessed before, and it has probably not been commonly captured on film earlier either.”
“As cameras clicked, I switched on to the video mode and filmed what would be an amazing sight to behold, a behavior that has had experts trying to decipher the exact nature of the action.”
“What we saw that day almost appeared as though the elephant was smoking – she would draw up a trunk full of ash close to her mouth and blow it out in a puff of smoke.”
Another scientist, Dr. Varun R. Goswami, believes that the elephant was mo.st probably trying to ingest wood charcoal in the forest after a fire, which might have been caused by a bushfire or a lightning strike.
The elephant might have smoked charcoal to eliminate the toxins from its body.
Charcoal has been known for its toxin-binding properties. Wild animals are known to self-medicate and they know which substances can benefit their health. Aside from removing the toxins in the body, charcoal has been known as a potent laxative.
Watch the video below:
Family Helps Pregnant Stingray Give Birth On The Beach
This is one of the many rescue stories that should restore your faith in humanity.
A stingray that got pulled from a line and stranded on the beach has just given birth to baby stingrays - all thanks to a family of beachgoers who were at the scene.
Apparently, the stingray got its jaw stuck in a hook and it is believed that it got caught on a fishing line. While lying on its back on the shore, a group of people saw little barbs emerging from its cloaca and that's when they realize that the sea creature is actually pregnant.
The stingray is reportedly caught on the line by accident.
Snapping Turtle Allegedly Fed Puppy By Teacher Is Euthanized
A science teacher reportedly fed the live puppy to a snapping turtle.
Authorities have euthanized the snapping turtle that, allegedly, was fed with a live puppy by an Idaho school teacher. As previously reported, Preston Junior High teacher Robert Crosland was accused of feeding an innocent puppy to the reptile in front of students on Wednesday.
Idaho officials seized the turtle and then euthanized it amidst investigation into allegations against Crosland, CBS reported. The state Department of Agriculture issued a statement on Friday saying that snapping turtles are an invasive species in Idaho and one would require a permit to own it.
Snapping turtles are omnivorous and they could be a threat to the native species in the area.
Vegan YouTuber Criticized After Forcing Her Carnivorous Fox On A Vegan Diet
She insists feeding meat to animals is considered animal abuse.
A YouTube star in Barcelona, who also happens to be an animal rights activist, is now in hot water after posting photos of her thin pet Fennec fox. Not only that, vegan YouTuber Sonia Sae also revealed that her pet named Jumanji is actually following a plant-based diet.
Now, her followers -- mostly animal advocates -- are calling her out because of how she's treating the animal, which is classified as an obligate carnivore. Sonia said Jumanji has been observing a vegan diet ever since he was rescued from a breeder in 2014.