- China’s Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs has recently declared that dogs are “companions and pets,” not “livestock,” removing dogs from the list of animals allowed for trade and consumption.
- The reminder comes weeks before the annual Yulin Dog Meat Festival.
- Activists continue to oppose dog meat trade and the annual festival.
As the annual Yulin dog meat festival approaches, Chinese authorities have taken it upon themselves to remind the public that dogs are “companions” and “pets,” not “livestock.” According to reports, the government is also making moves to implement a wider ban on the consumption and trade of canine meat.
The Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs recently made the announcement as they removed dogs from the list of animals in the Directory of Genetic Resources of Livestock and Poultry.
As a spokesperson from the agency said that with the passing of years, “some traditional customs about dogs will change too.”
Every year, thousands of dogs are killed and cooked in the meat festival in Yulin, a city in the province of Guangxi. The 9-day “celebration” is usually held from June 21 to June 30.
Of course, animal rights activists continue to express opposition against the disgusting tradition.
In an online petition by the The Humane Society of the United States, we read:
“Each year, thousands of dogs are captured and transported under horrific conditions, bound for the annual Dog Meat Festival… They are confined to crowded cages without food or water until they are killed—often beaten and their throats slit—to ultimately be eaten. Many of these dogs are stolen pets.”
Humane Society International’s Dr Peter Li added that the festival “does not reflect the mood or eating habits of the majority of the Chinese people.”
Dr Li likewise pointed out:
“Now that the Chinese government has officially recognized dogs as companions and not livestock, we are hopeful that China will take stronger steps to hasten the end of the dog and cat meat trade for which millions of animals continue to suffer every year.”
Meanwhile, the World Health Organization (WHO) has previously issued a warning that dog meat trade increases the chances of spreading rabies and cholera.
Watch this video feature:
20 Indian Soldiers Killed In “Violent Face-Off” With Chinese Forces On Disputed Border
The incident marks the first deadly clash in decades between the two countries.
- A "violent face-off" with the Chinese troops have resulted to the death of 20 members of the Indian Armed Forces.
- The incident happened on the disputed Himalayan border.
- An editor on China's state-run newspaper warned that their country does not "fear" clash with India.
Black Pastor Attacked By White Family, Ends Up Getting Arrested After Calling 911 For Help
The family threatened to kill him, telling him “his Black life didn’t matter.”
- Pastor Leon McCray ended up getting arrested after he reported a white family for verbally and physically assaulting him.
- He was arrested for brandishing a gun, which he said he did only as an act of self-defense when his life was threatened by a family of five.
- The sheriff eventually issued an apology to McCray, releasing him, dropping the charge and arresting his attackers.
China Reports 57 New Coronavirus Cases, Its Highest Daily Total in 2 Months
Beijing has entered “wartime emergency mode.”
- Thirty-six of the new cases were local transmissions in the country's capital.
- An outbreak was discovered at Xinfadi market in south Beijing.
- Beijing enters a "wartime emergency mode."
Like Us On Facebook
Dunkin’ To Permanently Close 450 Stores Before The Year Ends
“Starbucks Karen” Who Shamed a Barista for Asking Her to Wear a Mask Wants Half of the $100,000 Tip He Got From Supporters
After Months of Downplaying Coronavirus, Brazil’s President Bolsonaro Tests Positive of COVID-19
Huge 450-Pound Fish Pulls 2 Anglers Off Their Boat
- News3 days ago
China Reports Cases Of The Bubonic Plague That Once Wiped Out 60% Of Europe
- News5 days ago
California Man Posted He Regrets Attending A Party, Dies of COVID-19 The Next Day
- News6 days ago
Major U.S. Franchisee of Pizza Hut and Wendy’s Files for Bankruptcy
- Lifestyle4 days ago
Businessman in India Wears a $4000 Gold Mask As Coronavirus Protection