Have you ever wondered what our ancestors looked like during their time? An archaeologist who also works as a sculptor decided to recreate the faces of ancient people through sculptures. Amazingly, each lifelike face and its remarkable features are crafted by hand.
Oscar Nilsson is the Swedish archaeologist and sculptor who spends hundreds of hours reconstructing the faces of ancient humans. He uses 3D printed skulls based on the remains found in archaeological sites then painstakingly works on the features. His company OD Nilsson works with museums in an effort to give anonymous ancient folks a face that people today can relate to. Here are a few of Nilsson’s astounding works.
#1. The Huarmey Queen
Almost 1,200 years ago, a noblewoman was buried along with 57 others in coastal Peru. She stood out because her remains were found with several treasures so the archaeologists dubbed her the Huarmey Queen.
Although she spent most of her time sitting, the noblewoman spent most of that time weaving. It is believed that she was honored for her skills since she was buried with golden weaving tools.
#2. The Whitehawk Woman
The remains of the young Neolithic woman was found around Brighton in Sussex where it is believed that she died of childbirth. She was only 20 years old at the time.
The Whitehawk Woman is believed to be one of the ancestors of the current residents of Brighton and her DNA proves that she was not white.
#3. Adelasius Elbachus
Researchers were astounded to find the remains of a young man from the 8th Century AD who happened to have a perfect set of teeth. This is why his reconstruction was given a nice smile.
Unfortunately, the young man, who was given the name Adelaziy Elbakhusom, didn’t have a lot to smile about. Scientists found that he suffered from chronic infections and malnutrition.
#4. Estrid Sigfastdotter
Nilsson was clearly fascinated with Estrid Sigfastdotter, who lived during the Viking age. He had crafted three different reconstructions of the woman, from her likeness as a child, as a young woman, and as an old woman in her 80s.
There’s a good reason why we know so much about Estrid. Her remains were found with runestones that told her life.
#5. The 9,000-Year-Old Teenager
It seems like teenagers will always stay the same. The young girl named Avgi lived at a time when people started the agricultural evolution and she still doesn’t look impressed.
#6. The Violent Saxon
He may have lived to be 45 years old but that doesn’t mean this man had a pleasant life. He suffered from permanent abscesses and bore several scars from violent injuries. In addition to that, the infection is believed to have given him a permanent foul odor.
#7. The Swedish Viking
The reconstruction of an 11th Century Viking actually has more details about him, thanks to DNA found on his remains. He had red hair, blue eyes, and lived to the ripe old age of 45.
‘Victoria Crowned Pigeon’, The Beautiful Bird That Can Grow To The Size Of A Turkey
Isn’t it gorgeous?
- The Victoria Crowned Pigeon might be a relative of the domestic pigeon but it is also one of the most beautiful birds in the world.
- It is known for its gorgeous blue plumage and delicate white-tipped crest that makes it looks like it is wearing a beauty queen's crown.
- Although it can grow to the size of a turkey, the Victoria Crowned Pigeon is close to being endangered due to deforestation.
Amazing Dalmatian Shatters World Record With Adorable 19-Pup Litter
That’s just 82 pups away from ‘101 Dalmatians’!
- A Dalmatian may have broken the world record by giving birth to a litter of 19 puppies.
- The pups were delivered via Caesarian section and all 19 are confirmed to be healthy and happy.
- Amazingly, this was the Dalmatian's first litter.
Scientist Uses 4,500-Year-Old Yeast To Bake Bread, Says It Tastes Incredible
Is this what the ancient Egyptians were eating back in the day?
- A scientist wanted to find out if dormant yeast can be activated even after thousands of years.
- He managed to find yeast from ancient Egyptian clay pottery that is 4,500 years old.
- Amazingly, he decided to make some bread with the yeast and claims that the "flavor is incredible."
Like Us On Facebook
Daredevil Tried Proving Earth Is Flat, Dies After Launching Himself in Homemade Rocket
Teacher Stumbles Upon an Adorable Sight of Three Baby Bears “Dancing” in the Forest
A Puppy Who Can’t Walk Becomes Friends With a Pigeon Who Can’t Fly
Teen Girl Shares Sad Story of Living In The Wuhan Outbreak