- Researchers have found that a species of whale could have the longest lifespan among all vertebrates.
- The bowhead whale was initially believed to live up to 211 years.
- A new study discovered that bowheads can live much longer than originally expected.
There is little doubt that whales can live long, happy lives when they aren’t being hunted. However, one species of whale may have proven that it’s been around longer than the United States of America. The bowhead whale is believed to have a lifespan of up to 268 years. This means that these whales were already swimming around the ocean 25 years before the Declaration of Independence was signed.
Bowhead whales live in the Arctic and are one of the most mysterious creatures of the ocean. Although scientist initially believed that the bowheads can live up to 211 years old, new research has revealed that they have an even longer lifespan. Interestingly, this means that some of the bowheads that are still alive today have been around since the Victorian era.
Australian researchers used a genetic ‘clock’ to predict the bowheads’ lifespan. They did so by studying 42 genes and employed a chemical process called methylation. This process can be used to predict the life expectancy of whales. Amazingly, the researchers found that bowheads could potentially live up to 50 years more than initially believed.
Dr Benjamin Mayne of Canberra’s Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization explained that their study also looked into the lifespan of other creatures. However, it was the bowhead whale that proved to have the longest possible lifespan.
“Vertebrates range hugely in lifespan, from a pygmy goby, a tropical fish which lives for only eight weeks, to a bowhead whale,” Dr Mayne said. ” It is incredible to think that there is an animal which lives for almost three centuries and could have been alive when Captain Cook first arrived in Australia.”
Scientists have long believed that bowhead whales have a long lifespan. In 2007, one whale was found with a 200-year-old harpoon still embedded in its body.
Stunning Wooden Tables With Gorgeous Ocean Waves Mesmerize Netizens
It’s like having the ocean in your own home!
- A woodworker and an artist have collaborated to create some of the most amazing tables you will ever see.
- The gorgeous wooden tables are already beautiful on their own but are made even more stunning with resin.
- As a result, the tables appear to be covered in perfectly-made ocean waves and have mesmerized people with their beauty.
Comic Artist, Who Stands 5-Feet, Shares The Advantages of Being Short
Yes, there are certain advantages that only short people get to enjoy!
Size truly doesn't matter. Life can be great even if you're not that tall at all. Take it from Brisa, an artist who stands at 152 cm (that's almost 5 feet!) and has utilized her creativity to make a fun series of illustrations, depicting the perks of being short.
Playboy Tortoise to Be Sent Home After Saving His Species From Extinction
His “womanizing” made him the patriarch of around 40% of the island’s tortoise population.
- Diego, who is a 100-year-old tortoise, was said to have helped boost the population of his species to more than 2000.
- Before Diego started "womanizing," the island only had 2 males and 12 female tortoises.
- He is believed to have become the patriarch of around 40% of the island's tortoise population.
Like Us On Facebook
Pregnant Elephant Dies After Eating Pineapple Stuffed With Firecrackers
Cleveland Volcano Eruption Detected, Aviation Color Code Raised to Orange
Italy’s Sicily Island Is Offering To Pay Half And A Third Of Your Flight And Hotel Expenses
While Battling COVID-19 And Measles, Congo Now Detects New Ebola Outbreak
Sheriff Takes Off Riot Gear as Protesters Cheer “Walk With Us”, So He Did
Most Riots, Fires, And Looting Are NOT Caused by George Floyd Protesters, Says Authorities
Gun Store Owner Shoots and Kills Looters To Defend His Shop
Clever Bookshelf Can Be Reassembled Into A Coffin After The Owner’s Death
- Interesting4 days ago
Formation of Clouds That Seem to Spell “LOVE” Goes Viral
- OMG4 days ago
Chinese Social Media Stars Shock Internet After Unedited Photos Get Leaked Online
- News6 days ago
Canadian Teacher Tells Student To “Go Back To The Philippines And Work On Rice Farms”
- OMG6 days ago
Scary Video Shows Alligator Climbing A Fence