With the new coronavirus (now officially called the COVID-19 by the World Health Organization) infecting thousands and killing hundreds, concerned parents can at least be comforted about one thing: it looks like children are less likely to get seriously ill from the dreaded disease, statistics say.
As some news observers have noted, most, if not all, the reported deaths are senior adults. In addition, a JAMA report further tells us that the age of patients typically range between 49 and 56 years old. Cases in children, according to existing data, have, so far, been very “rare.”
After conducting an intensive study of the coronavirus and developing a test for it, University of Hong Kong virology chief Dr. Malik Peiris explained it this way:
“My strong, educated guess is that younger people are getting infected, but they get the relatively milder disease.”
Case in point, we’ve had a report about a 10-year-old child from Shenzhen who went with his family on a Wuhan trip, the origin of the viral disease. Upon their return, his family members (ages 36 to 66) were infected and immediately experienced diarrhea, fever, pneumonia, and sore throat. While the child also had signs of pneumonia, he displayed no outward symptoms at all.
Dr. Raina MacIntyre, resident epidemiologist of the University of New South Wales, remarked that in most cases, young ones can either be “asymptomatically infected or have very mild infection.”
Dr MacIntyre likewise pointed out that the body “declines and declines exponentially” when people reach the age of 50, “which is why for most infections we see the highest incidence in the elderly.”
Or as University of Toronto’s infectious disease specialist Isaac Bogoch summed it up, those who are most prone to get infected are “usually the very old, sometimes the very young and certainly people with other medical conditions who typically have more severe manifestations.”
China To Start Testing a Potential Cure for Coronavirus
One coronavirus patient in the US showed quick improvement because of this medicine.
- In a conference held in Wuhan, health authorities have announced that China will begin clinical trials for a potential cure for coronavirus.
- The drug, called remdesivir, is made by American pharmaceutical company Gilead.
- So far, the medicine has proven safe and effective for US' first coronavirus patient.
WHO Expresses Worry as Coronavirus Starts Spreading Among People With No Travel History to China
“We may only be seeing the tip of the iceberg,” the head of WHO warned.
- Speaking about the novel coronavirus, World Health Organization's director general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned we may only be seeing "the tip of the iceberg."
- The official made the comment after confirming that there have been cases of the virus among people "with no travel history to China."
- Countries should continue with containment but additionally, they should also "step up their efforts"to prevent the spread of the virus, Ghebreyesus said.
Endangered Pangolins May Have Helped Spread nCoV in China, Says New Study
Aside from bats, experts are looking at pangolins as another likely source of the coronavirus.
- A new study by the South China Agricultural University claims that pangolins are likely the source of coronavirus.
- Samples from the animal matched 99% of those in people infected by the viral disease.
Like Us On Facebook
Lebanese Offer Free Shelters in the Wake of Beirut Blast
Sweet Boyfriend Sits Outside Girlfriend’s Room Everyday After She Tests Positive of COVID-19
Thai Ladyboys Turn Heads in Recent Military Draft
Bridezilla Asks Guests and Family to Submit 250-Word Essays to Be on Guestlist
Tasaday Stone Age Tribe: A Philippines Savage Hoax That Fooled The World
Online Shoppers Got Duped Into Buying Miniature Versions of Full-Size Products
Video Captures The Exact Moment The Beirut Explosion Happened During A Wedding Photoshoot
Artist Creates Alien-Inspired Facehugger Face Mask
- News4 days ago
Beirut Ignored Public Warning There Was A Russian ‘Bomb’ At The Port
- News6 days ago
Shocking Videos Capture Massive Explosion in Beirut, Lebanon
- News4 days ago
43 Days of Monsoon Rain Devastate South Korea with Deadly Floods and Over 200 Landslides
- Interesting6 days ago
Japan Rollercoaster Rules Require Riders to Scream Silently to Avoid Spreading the Virus