Connect with us

OMG

Mom Strongly Warns Against Baby Sling Carriers After Her Newborn Dies

Baby sling carriers are marketed as safety gear for infants. But a mother mourns over the death of her son while in a sling carrier.

A A A

Many new mothers believe that since baby sling carriers are designed for infants, they are perfectly safe. A mourning mother from the United Kingdom warns other moms against the use of baby sling carriers after her 4-week-old newborn died.

In a heartbreaking post on Rospa.com, Marianne Matthews recalled the unfortunate event that has taken the life of her son more than three years back.

A happy Christmas Eve turned tragic after Eric Matthews died in his baby sling carrier.

When her son, Eric, was fussy and cranky on Christmas Eve, she tried to stop him from crying by putting him in a sling carrier she recently bought online. They went for a walk at a local store. The baby got a bit hungry so she decided to breastfeed him while carrying him in the sling.

Baby sling carriers are infant hazards due to suffocation risk.

Source: Ben Cumming

“I then decided to go home. At the time I thought Eric was just falling asleep.”

She noticed her son was unresponsive and has stopped breathing. He was bleeding from his nose. They immediately performed CPR in an attempt to save his life. Despite their efforts, he died in Great Ormond Street Hospital eight days later.

“Everything happened so quickly and quietly I didn’t realize that something was very wrong. He had either choked or got into difficulties. By the time I got back, he had stopped breathing,” she said.

On New Year’s Day, Eric died in the arms of his parents in the Great Ormond Street Hospital in London. Mrs. Matthews said all the parenting books she had read indicated a fabric sling for holding babies against the chest was the safest method. However, she didn’t expect it to become a health risk for her baby.

She recently bought the baby sling carrier, which was a stretchy wrap sling that came with minimal instructions, online and received it without any safety warnings.

“As a new parent, you get marketed at relentlessly with baby products. I wasn’t fully aware of the risks involving baby slings, and you never think these kinds of tragedies are something that will happen to you,” Mrs. Matthews explained.

Even if the incident happened several years ago, her heartfelt message and warning are important for all parents on anytime and occasion.

“The dangers of slings were not mentioned in the antenatal classes we attended, or in any of the baby books we read. Maybe because baby slings are newly popular, safety warnings aren’t yet part of the standard information given to expectant parents,” she added.

Dangers Of Baby Carriers And Baby Sling Carriers

Source: Paul Friel

According to Mayo Clinic, baby wearing can pose serious harm to your baby below 4 months old. Babies have relatively weak neck muscles and they cannot control their heads properly. If the sling fabric presses against the baby’s nose and mouth, there is a heightened risk of suffocation. Moreover, sling carriers keep your baby in a C-shape, which increases the risk of problems with breathing.

If you’re using a baby sling carrier, here are ways to prevent suffocation:

  1. Read the instructions properly. Make sure your baby’s age and weight are suitable for the baby sling carrier.
  2. Take extra precaution after breastfeeding. When you are breastfeeding your baby while he’s in the carrier, make sure you change his position to make sure his airways are not obstructed. Also, make sure you burp your baby every after feeding.
  3. Make sure your baby’s airways are not blocked or obstructed. Do not let the sling fabric cover his face.
  4. Keep an eye on your baby when you’re babywearing.

Mrs. Matthews says that her fellow mothers should NEVER multitask while carrying an infant in a sling, especially when breastfeeding. She also urges mothers to buy baby products only from reputable brands that come with safety warnings and instructions.

OMG

7-Inch Mummified Penis from an 18th Century Hanging Victim is Worth a Staggering $129,660

Its even possible to rent this permanent erection for $3,200 a year. Interested?

There are a great number and variety of adult toys in the market today but frankly, they pale in comparison to a certain artifact taken from an actual person. Not many museum-worthy items are worth a second, or even a third glance, but this particular item not only draws double-takes - it also brings about disbelieving stares.

That’s because it’s an actual erect penis. Dating back from the 18th century. It’s been mummified. And the clincher?

It’s 7 inches long!

Continue Reading

Funny

15 Hilarious Photo Edits From Photoshop Troll James Fridman

This guy never fails to make us laugh!

James Fridman is a name that needs no introduction in social media. The man is basically a legend online!

Fridman gained massive popularity over at Twitter for his hilarious way of responding to Photoshop requests. He doesn’t charge people but the catch is he’d do it in any way he wants to, usually taking instructions very literally which results to funny outputs.

Aside from his unique brand of humor, Fridman is also known for being very prolific. Just go follow him online (in case you’re still not doing that) and you’d be surprised with how often he posts stuff, much to the delight of his numerous fans.

Continue Reading

OMG

Chinese Parents Tossed Their Newborn Son in the Garbage Because He Was Born Prematurely

What kind of monsters are these people?!

Garbage or rubbish collectors have seen it all, given the amount and types of trash they haul on a regular basis. From recyclable items to rotten wastes that only the collectors can stomach to handle, nothing shocks or disturbs them anymore. But a rubbish collector found something that stirred his humanity – a newborn baby abandoned in a public trash bin!

The collector wisely brought his discovery to the nearest hospital and discovered that the infant was premature, born at 30 weeks old. The doctors eventually managed to find the baby’s parents. According to them, they decided to dispose the baby because they thought he wouldn’t survive as he was born prematurely.

The collector found a heartbreaking discovery at the trash bin...

Continue Reading

Popular