- A local of Grimsby, Lincolnshire, assistant headteacher Zane Powles sports a backpack as he carries out his food delivery service.
- He walks 5 miles to drop packed lunches to his students’ houses every day.
- Though he is not alone in this initiative, his efforts are appreciated by parents in the community.
We’re seeing heroes everywhere in this time of a global pandemic. From the doctors and soldiers to the farmers and grocery workers, these tireless essential employees are getting the recognition they rightfully deserve.
Locals of Grimsby, Lincolnshire recently recognized one such hero in their midst: assistant headteacher Zane Powles of the Western Primary School.
According to a report, 41 percent of the children who go to Western Primary School are eligible for free school meals. The End Child Poverty also tells us that 34 percent of all Grimsby kids live in poverty.
With this in mind, Zane sets out to walk over 5 miles (8 kilometers) every day to deliver free school lunches to the students. He places the packed food on the students’ doorsteps, knocks on their doors, and waits until someone opens before he leaves. Supplementing his efforts are headteacher Kim Leach and one other teacher, who are also helping deliver free lunches by car to families who live far away.
In an interview, Zane shared that he thinks Grimsby will stay in lockdown for a few more weeks. Although the school has been open all this time and will remain so, they want to reach and help out vulnerable children.
“We also are happy to take other children based on individual circumstances as we know our families very well so we will support them as much as we can, where we can,” he said.
Zane shared that he feels humbled by the positive responses to his deliveries. The happiness of the parents to have an “adult contact” whenever he arrives at their doorstep is clear to Zane, though he finds the attention overwhelming, even embarrassing.
“All the attention and being called a hero/legend embarrasses me and makes me feel a little silly but it’s nice to hear that the job I’m doing is appreciated,” he admitted.
His daughter also shared how proud she is of her dad for his efforts.
His efforts have also received commendation online.
Despite all the attention, Zane emphasizes that it’s all a team effort as he shares “the donkey work” with the other teachers. He also expressed his appreciation for the award he recently received.
68-Year-Old Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 46 Years Of Trying To Have Children
Dreams do come true, even for the oldies.
- Margaret Adenuga, 68, and husband Noah Adenuga, 77, finally fulfilled their dreams of becoming parents.
- After 46 years of marriage and three unsuccessful attemptsto conceive via IVF, the two became first-time parents to a twin boy and girl.
- It may symbolize hope for the other couples who are trying to conceive, but Adenuga's doctor shared that not everyone can be as lucky as these two.
Graphic Designer Quits Her Job, Pursues Being A Farmer
“I have never felt this free in my life..”
- 27-year old graphic designer Nuraishah Shamsuddin of Malaysia decided to quit her job and pursued a simple dream: become a farmer.
- Nuraishah, also known as "Aishah", recalled she used to tag along with his late grandfather in his fruit farm and palm oil plantation every morning when she was young.
- She learned to plant vegetables through do-it-yourself (D.I.Y.) videos on Youtube, reading, and her past experiences.
Mom Spends Isolation Cooking 80 Meals a Day for the Elderly and the Vulnerable
Meals include stews, soups, cottage pies, and chilli.
- Sophie Mears, 33, started by joining a Facebook community group and helped a family who needed meals.
- She had to pass a "virtual inspection" from the council to continue operations.
- Donations from locals help fund her meals, which go from 60 to 80 a day.
Why Nevada’s U.S. Route 50 Is Called “The Loneliest Road In America”
Simple and Easy: How to Make a Self-watering Planter
Stranded American Backpacker Adopted by Family in a Remote Village
Dad Builds Epic Indoor Treehouse For His Kids
The Chocolate Hills of Bohol, a Fascinating Geological Formation
Australian Woman Finds Around 20 Venomous Spiders On Her Swimming Pool
Torre Scola, a Fortress at Sea in La Spezia, Italy
War Is Brewing Between Armenia and Azerbaijan As Disputed Territory Conflict Intensifies