- “Gaming disorder” is now a medical diagnosis, according to the World Health Organization.
- According to the WHO definition, gaming becomes a disorder when it interferes with daily life.
- The video game industry has loudly opposed this classification since the WHO first proposed it in 2018.
This has been a long time coming. In late 2017, gaming disorder became part of the 2018 draft of the International Classification of Diseases and then in mid-2018, it was included in the beta version of the 11th edition ICD.
Now, the World Health Organization (WHO) has recognized gaming disorder as an illness. The long-awaited decision was agreed by WHO member states at the agency’s 72nd World Health Assembly in Geneva, Switzerland.
According to WHO’s ICD-11, this is the definition and characterization of gaming disorder:
“A pattern of persistent or recurrent gaming behavior (‘digital gaming’ or ‘video-gaming’), which may be online (i.e., over the internet) or offline, manifested by:
- Impaired control over gaming (e.g., onset, frequency, intensity, duration, termination, context);
- Increasing priority given to gaming to the extent that gaming takes precedence over other life interests and daily activities; and
- Continuation or escalation of gaming despite the occurrence of negative consequences. The behavior pattern is of sufficient severity to result in significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning.”
In response, various Entertainment Associations from around the world, including the US, Canada, South Korea, Australia, and the UK, immediately called on the WHO to rethink its decision.
They wrote in a joint statement:
“Gaming disorder is not based on sufficiently robust evidence to justify its inclusion in one of the WHO’s most important norm-setting tools. The consequences of today’s action could be far-reaching, unintended, and to the detriment of those in need of genuine help.”
The organization confirmed that the ICD-11 will officially start on January 1, 2022.
Follow On Facebook
TikToker Shares How She Tricked Invaders Who Tried Opening The Hotel Door While She Was Alone
5-Year-Old Artist Already Getting Commissioned For Her Paintings
Hiker Discovers Creepy Alien-Like Creature That “Smells Like Rotting Flesh”
New York Store Is Selling ‘Wet Pants Denim’ For $75
Burglary Victim Writes Heartbreaking Note Begging Robber To Return Last Photos Dog
Meet The Gorgeous Actress Who Portrayed Zombie Queen In ‘Army Of The Dead’
Florida School Sparks Outrage After Editing 80 Female Students’ Photos To Cover Their Cleavage
McDonald’s Recruitment Poster Offers New Employees With Free iPhone After Working For 6 Months
Horrific Video Shows Lioness Attacking Circus Trainer In Russia
Taking 4,500 Steps A Day Could Help You Live Longer, Says Research
Man Iced Neighbor Who Repeatedly Asked Him “When Are You Getting Married?”
Do You Live in One of These 15 Countries With The Most Beautiful Women on Earth?
The Secret Meaning of Anklets And Why Some Wives Wear Them
Waking Up Between 3 to 5 AM Could Mean You’re Experiencing Spiritual Awakening
Divorced Man Wrote 20 Epic Marriage Advice He Wished He Could Have Had
Haunting Photos of Two Tourists Snapped Just Before They Mysteriously Disappeared
“Chastity Cages” is the Latest Thing for Men
Pork Fat Is Officially One of the World’s Most Nutritious Foods
Some Stranger Padlocked This Guy’s Earlobe And Ran Away With The Key
Three-Month-Old Baby Left Blind in One Eye After Family Friend Took His Picture
Interesting10 months ago
20 Countries With The Most Beautiful Women In The World
News6 months ago
Mexican Residents Tie Mayor To Tree After He Failed To Fulfill His Campaign Promise
OMG9 months ago
Savage Moment Husband Exposes Cheating Wife During Their Baby Shower
Stories9 months ago
An Old Lady Went To A Bank To Withdraw Some Money