- A cruise line company has been found to be illegally dumping food waste and plastic into the ocean.
- Because of this, the company has been fined $20 million for its actions.
- The corporation is now changing its ways and has vowed to reduce gas emissions.
Throwing garbage into the ocean is a huge crime and a cruise line is learning it the hard way. The company has been forced to pay a $20 million fine after one of its subsidiaries was discovered to be releasing food waste and plastic in the ocean.
Carnival Corporation is required to pay $20 million after Princess Cruises, one of its subsidiaries, admitted that they had violated the terms of its probation from a 2017 conviction for improper waste disposal. It was found in a court filing that Carnival dumped food waste and plastic into the ocean and was unable to accurately record waste disposals. In addition to that, they allegedly created false training records.
Back in 2017, Princess Cruises had pled guilty to releasing oil into the ocean and deliberately hiding their practice. Because of this, they were ordered to pay $40 million. The action had kept Carnival Corporation on a five-year probation.
It’s a hefty price to pay and Carnival Corporation has learned its lesson. After settling the $20 million fine, they have become the first cruise company to commit to zero coalition. Earlier in December, the corporation joined the Getting to Zero Coalition, a coalition of companies who are committed to reducing gas emissions by 50% by 2050.
“Across our nine brands, we host more than 12 million guests every year and visit over 700 ports of call around the world. The health and vitality of our oceans and seas, along with the hundreds of communities we visit across the globe, are absolutely essential to our business,” Carnival Corporation said in a statement.
It’s great to see that Carnival Corporation is now taking all the necessary measures to correct their past errors and work better on saving the environment.
New Zealand Eruption: Death Toll May Rise After White Island Volcano Suddenly Erupts
White Island Volcano could still erupt within 24 hours.
- 25 people are now fighting for their life after the White Island disaster
- Six have been confirmed dead, while 8 are still missing
- The volcano could erupt again in 24 hours
US Doctors Reanimate a Dead Donor Heart Using a Groundbreaking Procedure
The procedure, called donation after death (DCD) is the first of its kind in the US.
- American doctors successfully reanimate a heart after its donor died
- The technique pumps the donor heart with blood, oxygen, and electrolytes
- Duke University is the first US hospital to complete the procedure
Two People in China Have Been Diagnosed With the Plague
Authorities confirm two patients in China have the pneumonic plague.
- Two people in the China-Mongolia border have been diagnosed with pneumonic plague
- Pneumonic plague is caused by the bacteria Yersinia pestis - the same bacterium that caused the Black Plague in 14th century Europe
- Pneumonic plague is virulent and damaging and can kill in 24 hours
Like Us On Facebook
Woman Bakes Heart-Shaped Macarons, They Ended Up Looking Like Something Else
Helicopters Drop Food For Hungry Animals Who Survived Australian Wildfire
Sweet Filipina Woman Proposes To Her Boyfriend – And He Said Yes!
People are Outraged at Wendy Williams for Mocking Joaquin Phoenix’s “Cleft Lip”