Connect with us

News

Coronavirus Has Mutated In Two Strains And The Other One is Aggressive And Stronger

Chinese scientists called them strain “L” and “S”.

Susie Steck

Posted

(

)

A A A
  • Researchers in Shanghai and Beijing have discovered at least two strains of the coronavirus.
  • They named the two strains as “L” and “S”.
  • Strain “S” is the common virus while the strain “L” is more “aggressive and contagious”.
  • Experts said that 70% of the coronavirus patients caught the “L” strain.

Chinese researchers from Beijing and Shanghai have discovered that the deadly coronavirus (COVID-19) has mutated into two distinct strains. Based on the 103 samples they tested, there were two different strains that have been infecting people since December. They were the strains “S” and “L”.

Based on the preliminary research, there are around 70% of patients who caught the stronger, more aggressive “L” strain coronavirus. The remaining 30% infected patients caught the common flu-like “S” strain of the virus.

“These findings strongly support an urgent need for further immediate, comprehensive studies that combine genomic data, epidemiological data, and chart records of the clinical symptoms of patients with coronavirus disease 2019,” the Chinese scientists said.

The researchers further said that the L strain spread faster and it was the virus that infected the people in Wuhan since the start of the outbreak in December 2019. However, scientists also pointed out that the strain L now is becoming less felt, because of the aggressive efforts of most countries in containing the virus.

The most common strain now, on the other hand, they said, was the S strain, which is suspected as the strain in recovered patients who got infected again.

The researchers explained that the previous spike of the infeced cases in other countries outside China was “likely caused by mutations and natural selections besides recombination”.

The study was conducted separately in Peking University in Beijing and in Shanghai University. The journals were by the Chinese Academy of Sciences.

Researchers, however, warned that the data used to examine in the study remains “very limited” and that a follow-up research with a “larger set of data” would be needed to have a better understanding of the epidemiology, mutation or evolution of the virus.

The discovery came immediately after the World Health Organization (WHO) announced that dreaded disease has already infected more than 93,000 people with about 3,100 fatalities around the globe. Majority of those cases are from China. The virus had also spread in other first world countries like the United States, Germany, South Korea, Italy, and Iran.

WHO also added that the virus outbreak has now spread to more than 70 countries. They likewise warned that it could reach most, “if not all,” countries around the globe.

To understand more about coronavirus, watch this video:

View Comments

News

10 Companies, Including Coke and Pepsi, Are Getting Sued For Lying About Recycling

These “plastic peddlers” have been lying to our faces for years by spreading the fake narrative that their products can be recycled.

Susie Steck

Published

on

  • Earth Island Institute filed a case against the 10 “plastic peddlers”, including Coke, Pepsi, and Nestle, among others, for contributing 10-million tons of plastic wastes in the ocean.
  • The organization said the companies have been misleading the public for years by labeling their products as "recyclable."
  • In their defense, the 10 companies said they are currently fighting against pollution in their own ways.

Continue Reading

News

Corona Beer Loses $170,000,000 Profit Because of Coronavirus

Apparently, some people believe Corona beer is linked to the Wuhan virus.

Mark Andrew

Published

on

  • Beer manufacturer Anheuser-Busch InBev​ has reported that they are losing a huge amount of money because of the coronavirus outbreak.
  • Apparently, some people are associating their Corona beer to the said virus.
  • Demand for the beer have dropped in China following the spread of the disease in the country since December 2019.

Continue Reading

News

Pope Francis Suffers “Cold Symptoms” Amid Coronavirus Outbreak in Italy

Pope Francis cancelled his schedule again for the third time due to “apparent cold”.

Susie Steck

Published

on

  • Pope Francis has recently cancelled three appearances due to “apparent cold.”
  • He was last seen publicly coughing and blowing his nose during a mass on Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent.
  • During the event, Pope Francis expressed his “closeness to those who are ill with coronavirus and to health-care workers who are caring for them”.
  • His condition is amidst report of a growing coronavirus outbreak in Italy and the death of Iran's ambassador to Vatican.

Continue Reading

Popular