- The numbers are getting higher, as more and more people are getting infected.
- Shortage of protective gear such as masks and gowns are an alarming concern.
- Doctors are forced to choose whom to prioritize when giving medical care.
Having doctors and nurses dying because of the coronavirus just makes the situation even more heartbreaking. In this case, the disease served as a great equalizer – the medical staff are as helpless as the patients that they are treating.
As of March 24, 2020, there are already 23 doctors who have died in Italy, one of the hardest-hit countries since the spread of the virus. Unfortunately, the numbers are getting higher, as more and more people are getting infected each day.
Health care workers are at a higher risk due to greater exposure.
19 of the 23 doctors who died worked in the Lombardy region, the worst-hit region in the country. The others worked in Marche, Emilia Romagna, and Naples.
According to the latest report by the Italian federation of doctors, around 4,824 health workers have been infected by COVID-19. The Federazione Nazionale degli Ordini dei Medici Chirurghi e degli Odontoiatri (FNOMCeO) has already listed the names of all doctors and surgeons who have died during the pandemic.
Hospitals and ICUs are hopelessly full and overrun.
Based on the harrowing experience in China and Italy, healthcare workers who are serving as frontliners have a higher risk of getting infected and are more likely to experience worse symptoms because of their higher level of exposure. The shortage of personal protective equipment such as masks and gowns are also a primary concern.
Makeshift wards are made because hospitals are already full.
General practitioner Marcello Natali, who is 57, was the one who sounded the alarm on the shortage of medical supplies. He died on March 18.
Shortly before his death, Natali was interviewed by Euronews, where he disclosed that he was forced to work without protective gloves because there is no supply.
The country struggles to bury the dead due to the overwhelming number of deaths.
Italy currently has close to 64,000 confirmed COVID-19cases, with 6,077 deaths. Hospitals are hopelessly overrun and medics are forced to choose which patients will be prioritized for treatment. The number of deaths in the country are already more than the number officially reported for the Hubei province in China, where the virus was first discovered.
Philippine Politicians Are Allegedly Abusing Their Power To Get VIP Treatment on COVID-19 Tests
According to reports, “VIP” politicians are being tested ahead of frontliners and patients with COVID-19 symptoms.
- A series of screenshot conversations have surfaced online, showing how several politicians in the Philippines allegedly demanded to have their swab samples be tested first, before patients who are really sick.
- There are reports where some patients suspected of contracting the virus died without being tested, due to the test kit shortage
- Some politicians even bragged about being tested negative and also mentioned that they were tested right at the comfort of their homes or offices.
Filipino Frontliners Are Using Improvised PPEs To Address Shortage
They made their own PPEs using trash bags and plastic bags.
- The medical staff of St Jude Hospital in Los Banos, Laguna in the Philippines are currently lacking personal protective equipment (PPE) as they lead the battle against coronavirus.
- The frontliners eventually came up with an idea to make improvised PPEs which using plastic bags and trash bags.
- Their photos went viral online and many have since hailed these frontliners as heroes.
Jack Ma to Donate 4 Million Face Masks, 600,000 Test Kits for Asia and Latin America
Thank you, Jack Ma!
- Chinese billionaire Jack Ma has pledged to donate a massive amount of face masks, testing kits, personal protective equipments, and ventilators.
- The generous tech mogul has confirmed that his foundation will send much-needed medical supplies and equipment to several countries in Asia and Latin America.
- In the Philippines, he also collaborated with boxing legend Manny Pacquiao to donate COVID-19 test kits.
Like Us On Facebook
Japan’s Copper Fiber Face Mask Can Destroy COVID-19 Particles in 4 Hours
Russia Declares State of Emergency After 20,000 Tons of Oil Spill in Arctic Circle
George Floyd Tested Positive For COVID-19, Autopsy Report Says
Netizens Are Outraged With TikTok’s “George Floyd Challenge”
- Interesting5 days ago
Formation of Clouds That Seem to Spell “LOVE” Goes Viral
- OMG6 days ago
Chinese Social Media Stars Shock Internet After Unedited Photos Get Leaked Online
- Inspiring5 days ago
Dad Reviews His Daughter’s ‘Restaurant’ And It’s Both Funny and Heartwarming
- News7 days ago
Minneapolis Rioters Play Audio From The Purge: “Any And All Crime Will Be Legal For 12 Continuous Hours”