Connect with us

OMG

Boy Undergoes Operation After Swallowing 54 Magnets To See If He’d Become Magnetic

Mark Andrew

Posted

(

)

A A A
  • Rhiley Morrison, 12, was rushed to the hospital after telling his mom that he “accidentally” swallowed 2 magnets.
  • The reality, however, is that he swallowed 54 little magnetic balls to see if it would turn him magnetic.
  • Rhiley has ADHD and autism, according to his mother Paige Ward.

A 12-year-old boy had to undergo an emergency surgery after he swallowed 54 little magnets. Apparently, he wanted to find out if doing so would turn him magnetic.

According to reports, Rhiley Morrison had to be taken to the Salford Royal Hospital in England after he told his mom Paige Ward that he swallowed 2 magnets “by accident.” The truth, however, was that he swallowed 54 magnetic balls in two separate occasions because he wanted to see if metal will actually stick to his tummy. An x-ray later revealed the little objects in Rhiley’s stomach and bowel.

Doctors sent Rhiley to the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital where he ended up undergoing a 6-hour operation.

Paige, who is 30, said that her son has ADHD and autism.

She further shared:

“The doctors guessed around 25-30 from the x-ray, but when he came out of surgery they said they got 54.

“I think what made it harder is that I just didn’t understand how or why he would swallow that many.”

Rhiley, added Paige, is so much into science and asked for magnetic toys last Christmas. He also bought the magnetic balls with his saved money.

“He loves experiments, he eventually admitted ‘I tried to stick magnets to me, I wanted to see if this copper would stick to my belly while the magnets were in’. It’s just so silly, but he’s a child and that’s what kids do. He also thought it would be fun seeing them come out the other end,” Paige pointed out.

Now she wants to warn other parents about the danger of little magnetic toys.

She emphasized:

“When he did it I thought it was just him, he’s just been silly and done it, but the surgeon said they see this all the time.

“Magnets aren’t toys, they shouldn’t be sold as toys.

“My message to other parents is to just put them in the bin, don’t buy them in the first place.

“The surgeon said that if Rhiley didn’t tell me that day he’d swallowed the magnets he could have died…. Rhiley was lucky but some kids aren’t and won’t be.”

View Comments

Follow On Facebook




Popular