Connect with us

OMG

Doctor In Hot Water For Reusing Anal Catheters On Multiple Patients

This is scary and disgusting.

Medical instruments or devices that come in contact with patients’ secretions are usually for single use only, to prevent contamination and spread of disease. Anal catheters, for instance, should only be used once.

A doctor based in East Brunswick, New Jersey, however, is now being accused of reusing disposable one-use anal catheters on many of his patients. Dr. Sanjiv K. Patankar, a colorectal surgeon, had his medical license suspended for placing his patients in imminent danger.

He reused anal catheters on dozens of patients.

Source: Pixabay
Anal catheters are tubes that are inserted into a patient’s rectum to obtain fecal samples or inject fluids.

Source: Metro.co.uk

Hence, these catheters can get really messy. That’s why they recommended for single-use only.

During the case’s hearing, evidence showed that the doctor performed 82 procedures between the period of January 1 and November 30, 2017. However, during this period only five catheters were ordered.

It was reported that the doctor and his staff have washed the catheters between use, instead of disposing of them after each procedure.


Attorney General Christopher S. Porrino said in a statement:

“It is appalling that a doctor would engage in such an unsanitary and dangerous practice.”

“Through his alleged conduct, Dr. Patankar has demonstrated a reckless disregard for public safety that placed countless patients at risk of communicable diseases.”

The doctor ordered the staff to wash the tubes after use.

Source: Pixabay

According to his medical staff, Dr. Patankar told them to wash and clean the catheters to be used for future patients. They were told to wash the catheters with soap and water then soak them in bleach for about 30 minutes. After which, they rinse the rubes again and placed inside their original packaging. This was despite the fact that the packages clearly said “Do not reuse”.

The single-use and disposable anal catheters just cost about $0.25 each. These devices are used to flush a patient’s colon with saline solution or obtain stool samples to test for certain abnormalities. The test, which is called anorectal manometries, are done to assess the patients for constipation or lack of bowel control.

Funny

6 Types Of Dog Owners You Come Across With In The Park

Which one are you?

By

Raising dogs is not that easy. It requires patience and passion. It makes sense to get to know more about them so that you are aware of what you may be dealing with.

We all know there are different types of dog breeds. But I bet you didn’t know there are various kinds of dog owners, too? You might have encountered some of them already.

Check out the list below to find out which one are you.

...
Continue Reading

OMG

People Are Infuriated With Teens Who Destroyed 320 Million-Year-Old Rock Formation

The ancient landmark dated back to the Ice Age was destroyed in mere seconds and the vandals are still at large.

It only takes a few seconds to destroy some of Nature's most stunning gifts. A group of vandalizing teenagers have just defaced a landmark that has stood since the Ice Age. Not surprisingly, people are enraged with the teens and their complete disrespect for the national monument.

The Brimham Rocks were undoubtedly one of the most amazing reminders of what Earth looked like during ancient times. The rock formation is 320 million years old and is considered a National Trust landmark. It is also one of the major tourist spots in North Yorkshire, England. Although they survived millions of years of erosion, the rocks were not strong enough against the attacks of rowdy teens.

...
Continue Reading

OMG

Man Catches Fire After Ladder Gets Entangled In The Power Line

This is what happens when you don’t wear proper safety gear.

Dealing with electricity is a seriously dangerous thing, which is why linemen are always required to put on safety gear and have the proper equipment when out in the field. Unfortunately for one man, he didn't realize the importance of these tools and ended up losing his life in a tragic and horrific way.

A video of the shocking incident involving electricians has been making the rounds online. A group of men can be seen moving a metal ladder when one of them suddenly caught fire.

...
Continue Reading

Like Us On Facebook