Sometimes it’s not enough to do some casual research for a role. Most actors can easily understand their characters simply by reading a script. However, some committed thespians are willing to try Method acting, risking their health and sanity to deliver a convincing performance.
Method acting usually involves a series of training and rehearsal techniques that result in a truly sincere performance. Actors like Al Pacino, James Dean, Dustin Hoffman, and Marilyn Monroe all employed the techniques to prepare for their films. One notable Method actor is Marlon Brando, who famously used the technique to impress audiences with his delivery in A Streetcar Named Desire. Here are 20 more actors who went above and beyond to understand their characters in their movies or TV shows.
20. Bryan Cranston learned how to make meth for Breaking Bad.
Cranston told Howard Stern that DEA chemists taught him the process of making methamphetamine although he was not allowed to actually cook it.
19. Timothée Chalamet learned Italian and practiced guitar and piano for Call Me By Your Name.
The young actor even stayed in Crema, Italy five weeks before production began so he could somehow live like Elio.
18. English actor Tom Holland enrolled into a Bronx high school to understand Peter Parker.
The Spider-Man: Homecoming star admitted that he used a fake name and accent to learn what being a teenager in New York truly feels like.
17. Ryan Gosling convinced Michelle Williams and Faith Wladyka to live in the house their characters owned in Blue Valentine.
The three actors reportedly had their own fake Christmas and did regular things a family would do so they could have real memories in the house.
16. Emilia Clarke bleached her hair for Game of Thrones Season 8.
Although she still had to wear Daenerys Targaryen‘s trademark blond wig for the show, Clarke went platinum to truly get into the character.
15. Black Panther star Michael B. Jordan kept “a very sad journal” while he prepared to play Erik Killmonger.
The actor wrote down the villain’s thoughts on a regular basis, which may have helped him deliver an amazing performance in the Marvel film.
14. Shia LaBeouf actually joined the US National Guard for Fury.
He revealed that he “became a chaplain’s assistant to Captain Yates for the 41st Infantry” and that he “spent a month living on a forward operating base.”
13. The Walking Dead actress Danai Gurira took some intense sword training.
The Black Panther star then developed her own style because Michonne is a self-taught katana wielder.
12. Millie Bobby Brown shaved her head after being cast as Eleven in Stranger Things.
The 14-year-old actress believed that it was part of her job and she needed to show young girls that looks are not important.
11. Leonardo DiCaprio risked hypothermia for The Revenant.
However, he did not have to battle a real bear in that infamous scene.
10. Adrien Brody lost everything to understand Wladyslaw Szpilman in The Pianist.
The actor actually sold his apartment and his car then took only two bags containing his belongings when he began filming.
9. Halle Berry didn’t shower for two weeks while working on Jungle Fever.
The Academy Award winner also frequented a crack house to understand her crack-addicted character.
8. Sarah Paulson used the same perfume her character Marcia Clark wore for American Crime Story: The People vs. O.J. Simpson.
The actress famously stated that “it smelled like the bargain basement of Macy’s throw out perfume.”
7. Heath Ledger avoided people by staying in a locked hotel room where he feverishly wrote in a diary for The Dark Knight.
His performance would earn the late actor the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor, the first time anyone was given the recognition posthumously.
6. Margot Robbie learned to skate for I, Tonya.
Her performance led to numerous nominations for the Academy Award, SAG, Golden Globe, and BAFTA Award for Best Actress.
5. Amanda Brugel would put rocks in her shoes while playing Rita in The Handmaid’s Tale.
The pebbles helped define the character’s uncomfortable walk.
4. Jodie Foster became a trainee in Quantico before facing Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs.
Foster revealed that she learned some disturbing facts about serial killers during her stay.
3. Jack Nicholson and the cast who played patients in One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest had to stay in the hospital overnight.
They would also shadow certain mental patients in order to learn their day-to-day life.
2. Tom Cruise went skydiving without a harness for Mission Impossible: Fallout.
Unfortunately, the actor also broke his ankle in the worst possible way by performing his own stunts in the film.
1. Daniel Day-Lewis stayed in character through out the production of My Left Foot.
A truly committed Method actor, Day-Lewis reportedly sat in his wheelchair all day and needed the crew to help him eat. Being true to his character, the thespian learned to do simple chores with only his left foot.
The Claws Of The Cheetah: Who Is The Villain Set To Challenge Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman?
Expect the sequel to ooze with an intense, well, cat fight!
While it is no longer a secret that the highly anticipated “Wonder Woman 2,” otherwise known as “Wonder Woman 1984,” will feature Cheetah (to be played by Kristen Wiig) as its big bad, there are still many Wonder Woman fans who are not familiar with the said DC villainous character. Who is Cheetah and why is she a formidable opponent of Diana?
Many avid Wonder Woman fans around the globe are excitedly awaiting for the second live-action standalone movie about the Amazon warrior princess, which will feature Gal Gadot anew in the lead role. While leaked on-the-set photos reveal that Chris Pine’s Steve Trevor character will return despite his death in the first movie, and it will be set in 1984 (hence, “Wonder Woman 1984”), fans have yet to see Wiig’s Cheetah in full-costume.
In fact, it is even unclear as to who among the character’s comic-book incarnations will be featured in the highly anticipated live-action movie sequel. After all, Cheetah’s alter-ego has been altered several times in the comic books.
‘Game Of Thrones’ Stars’ Net Worth, Ranked From Lowest To Highest
Give a hand to the richest man in Westeros!
There is little doubt that Game of Thrones is one of the most successful shows in TV history. Interestingly, the HBO series has given its stars a hefty net worth after seven seasons.
Game of Thrones certainly paved the way for former unknown actors to become Hollywood's A-listers. The series is now down to its final season. Nevertheless, the stars are expected to shine even brighter now that their net worth has increased tremendously. Here are 16 cast members who could give the Iron Bank of Braavos a run for their money.
16. Gwendoline Christie Net Worth: $500,000
17 Committed Actors Who Got Injured For The Perfect Shot In Their Movies
Tom Cruise’s ankle snap will make you very uncomfortable.
Some actors are willing to do anything for a role. Unfortunately, the inclination to do something dangerous could also lead to disaster. Several stars have suffered minor injuries on the set of a TV show or a blockbuster film. However, these celebrities had shocking accidents that landed them in the hospital or ended up in the movie itself.
A few actors have had repeat injuries in several different films. For one, Spider-Man: Homecoming star Tom Holland has broken his nose three times since he became the Marvel superhero. Interestingly, Holland's first broken nose was on the set of The Lost City of Z while the more recent one may have been for his final stunt in Avengers 4. In the meantime, here are the celebrities who had unbelievable accidents while working on a movie.
17. Robert Downey Jr.'s broken ankle barely puts a dent on Iron Man 3's production.
Singaporean Mom Gives Birth To Baby With Covid-19 Antibodies
Man Chops Off Nose and Splits Tongue for His ‘Black Alien Project’
Crayfish Hacks Off Its Own Claw To Escape Being Boiled To Death
Nigerian Socialite Shows Up At Wedding With Six Women Each Said To Be Pregnant With His Child
Weird And Creepy Soda Ad In The Philippines Leaves Netizens Confused
Pringles Japan Releases Limited Edition 1.5-Meter Cans For Hungry Fans
Pope Francis Slams Anti-Maskers, Saying They’re Stuck “In Their Own Little World Of Interests”
Man Declared Dead Wakes Up In Morgue As They Were Draining His Blood
Sci/Tech4 days ago
Indonesian Man “Feels Cheated” After the Meteorite He Sold for $14,000 Gets Resold for $1.85M
Interesting6 days ago
Woman Gets Tattooed From Head to Toe, Spends Almost £20,000
Entertainment3 days ago
Weird And Creepy Soda Ad In The Philippines Leaves Netizens Confused
Sci/Tech4 days ago
Filipino Student Snags Global Science Award After Creating Solar Walls and Windows from Rotten Vegetables