- According to scientists, stem cell is the answer to cure baldness once and for all.
- The experiment was successful on mice and now they want to test it on human subjects.
- The newer method even allows scientists to control the amount and direction of hair growth.
The cure for baldness is one of the most sought after treatments. From shampoos to herbs to hair weaves, the search for an eternal full head of hair has become the Holy Grail for men. Now scientists claim that they have discovered the true cure for baldness, once and for all, thanks to stem cell research.
Scientists from the Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute used human pluripotent stem cells to create hair follicles that grow through the skin. To be clear, they used mice as their test subjects and have yet to test it on humans.
But that’s a huge step in that direction, right?
So what the scientists did was take human skin cells and put them on mice. They used special “scaffolds” to direct the hair growth.
They discovered that hair grew through those scaffolds when they placed them beneath the skin of the mice.
The mice trial was a success, so now they want to jump to testing it on humans. They want to use the cells from the human subject’s own body. This would allow them to monitor if the procedure will be accepted by the human immune system.
Dr. Alexey Terskikh, one of the professors involved in the research, said that the protocol they made will get through the key techological challenges that prevent their experiment for use in the real world.
“Now we have a robust, highly controlled method for generating natural-looking hair that grows through the skin using an unlimited source of human iPSC-derived dermal papilla cells. This is a critical breakthrough in the development of cell-based hair-loss therapies and the regenerative medicine field,” he said.
The procedure has been growing for sometime already. In 2015, Terskikh was able to make hair grow under the mice skin, but he and his team were not able to control it. With this newer technique, they can now control the amount and direction of the hair to be grown.
Dr Richard Chaffoo, medical adviser to Stemson Technologies, said that hair loss has a huge effect on people’s lives and that a significant part of his practice seeks to discover a solution for both men and women.
“I am eager to advance this groundbreaking technology, which could improve the lives of millions of people who struggle with hair loss,” he said.
Two Gigatonnes of Ice Melted in Greenland in Just One Day
Over 40% of the region experienced melting in the middle of June, which is highly unusual.
- Almost half of the region experienced melting in the middle of June, which is very unusual.
- Experts clarified though that the melting spike is unusual, but not unprecedented.
- They also warn about the significant ramifications that these extreme melt seasons could have around the globe.
Young Filipina Discovers ‘Aratiles’ Plant Can Be Used To Prevent Type 2 Diabetes
This could be a life-changing discovery!
- A Filipina student scientist discovered that Jamaican cherry, locally known as aratiles plant, can prevent type 2 Diabetes.
- Maria Isabel Layson competed at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair held in Phoenix, Arizona.
- She discovered that the aratiles fruit is a source of antioxidants.
Jupiter So Close To Earth This Month Its Largest Moons Will Be Visible With Binoculars
Get your binoculars ready and find out when it will peak!
- Jupiter will get so close to Earth this month that its largest moons will be visible with binoculars.
- NASA shared the specific date for it to peak.
Like Us On Facebook
Filipino Priests Are Using Crosses and Holy Water to “Exorcise” COVID-19
Canadian Teacher Tells Student To “Go Back To The Philippines And Work On Rice Farms”
Stray Cat Carries Her Sick Kitten to the Hospital and the Medics Rush to Help
Scary Video Shows Alligator Climbing A Fence
Men Are More Effective Grocery Shoppers Than Women In Times During COVID-19, Japanese Official Says
Aggressive Cannibal Rats Are On The Loose In The US Amidst Pandemic, CDC Warns
Woman Strips Off Underwear and Wears It As Face Mask After She Was Refused Service
New UK Law Makes All Adults in England Automatically Organ Donors
- Inspiring5 days ago
Boy Weeps With Joy At His First McDonald’s Meal After Months of Lockdown
- News4 days ago
Anti-Parasitic Drug Killed COVID-19 Within 48 Hours, Australian Scientists Discovered
- People5 days ago
Woman Completes 20 Courses from Major Universities While In Quarantine
- Inspiring6 days ago
10-Year-Old Girl Has Sent 1,500 Art Kits for Less Fortunate Children During The Pandemic