Categories: Interesting

Healthy Man Dies From Infection After Getting Licked By His Dog

You might want to rethink about those doggie kisses.

  • The German patient complained of flu-like symptoms.
  • He was healthy and he was not bitten by his dog yet was found to have carried the bacterium commonly found in cats and dogs.
  • This was a very rare case of C. canimorsus infection but pet owners have been warned.

Doggie kisses – a lot of dog lovers like or welcome them. After all, it feels good to see that your dog is all over you, showing you some love. But should you really be kissing your dog or letting them lick your face (or even lips)? A recent report on the subject might make you want to reconsider getting doggie kisses.

One man has recently died after reportedly getting licked by his dog. The man, a 63-year-old German national, went to the hospital with complaints of burning sensation and muscle pain in his legs. He also complained of severe flu-like symptoms for three days and purplish spots that resemble rashes.

After a blood test was done, it was revealed that the man harbored bacteria found in the saliva of healthy cats and dogs.

This case was the subject of a medical study, which was published in the European Journal of Case Reports in Internal Medicine. With the lab test, doctors found that the patient was infected with the bacteria known as Capnocytophaga canimorsus, which can be transmitted to humans in “very rare” instances.

C. canimorsus bacteria usually thrive in the right conditions, but one can usually get it through an open wound, like a dog bite. This means one shouldn’t be able to get it through a dog lick, which makes this case baffling. Also, only immunocompromised people or those with weakened immune systems will get the infection, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

If one develops an infection from this bacteria, however, death can come so quickly. The bacteria can take one’s life within 72 hours after symptoms have shown. 

C. canimorsus bacterium is a normal part of a dog’s oral flora.

Cases of C. canimorsus infections are rare but well-documented. Most people who have contracted serious infections are usually those who have alcohol problems or immune system issues – neither of which the patient has.

The man was given antibiotics but his health continued to deteriorate. After 16 days of receiving care, the man died of multiple organ failure. As veterinary microbiology lecturer, Dr. Stephen Cole, said, the bacterium is a “completely normal flora of a dog’s mouth and usually doesn’t cause any sort of significant disease. However, in the wrong place, at the wrong time, in the wrong patient … it can lead to severe infections — but very, very rarely.”

Leave a Comment

Recent Posts

Bees Kill Penguins by Stinging Them in the Eyes

Swarm of bees stings the eyes of penguins in Cape town 60 penguins died from…

November 16, 2021

2000 Kilogram Sunfish Caught Off North African Coast

A massive ocean sunfish measuring 2,000 kilograms was caught on North African Coast It is named Mola alexandrini or…

November 16, 2021

Man Embezzles $57K in COVID-19 Relief to Buy Pokemon Cards

A businessman in Georgia utilized the Covid-19 relief to buy a limited edition Charizard Pokemon card He committed…

November 8, 2021

Florida Man Catches and “Recycles” Alligator in Driveway

Man captures an alligator in his neighbor's yard in FloridaHe uses a trash can to…

November 1, 2021

Man Shocks Reporter on How He’d Spend the Lottery Winnings

Man surprises the reporter with his answer on how he would use the money if…

November 1, 2021

Man Joins Search Operation Not Realizing He’s the One Missing

A man was lost in the forestA man joins a search party looking for himselfHe…

November 1, 2021

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience.